4.3 L Longblock

Jonnybseaox

Recruit
Hi All,

I have been reading the forum for over a year now and thank you all for the great info and education I have received.
After my 3.7 L Mercrusier imploded 5 mi east of the Isles of Shoals, I have been considering the options for repower. As luck would have it I picked up a Mercruiser 4.3 L complete parts motor (coolant in engine oil) SN # D380135 on the cheap last week. My plan is to purchase a longblock, but I see there's lots of long block options. I am interested in any views as to the best value, ease of assembly etc. I am a mediocre DIY mechanic. I am leaning toward a longblock-plus that includes a new GM block with intake manifold, 4 barrel carb, oil pan, rated at 220 HP. Anyone have input on this plan of action. The engine will power my 1983 Sea OX cuddy.

Thanks,
JonnyB

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 4.3 L Longblock

Hi All,

I have been reading the forum for over a year now and thank you all for the great info and education I have received.
After my 3.7 L Mercrusier imploded 5 mi east of the Isles of Shoals, I have been considering the options for repower. As luck would have it I picked up a Mercruiser 4.3 L complete parts motor (coolant in engine oil) SN # D380135 on the cheap last week. My plan is to purchase a longblock, but I see there's lots of long block options. I am interested in any views as to the best value, ease of assembly etc. I am a mediocre DIY mechanic. I am leaning toward a longblock-plus that includes a new GM block with intake manifold, 4 barrel carb, oil pan, rated at 220 HP. Anyone have input on this plan of action. The engine will power my 1983 Sea OX cuddy.

Thanks,
JonnyB

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... How is yer Parts motor dressed,..??

What Carb,..??

Why is it a parts motor,..?? How much of it did ya get,..??

Vintage is kinda important with the 4.3ls,... not sure where the D serial numbers fall,... somebody'll know...

What vintage is the 470 drive/ transom yer tyin' it to,..??