3/8 or 1/2

boat_beginner

Seaman
I'm sure this has been discussed before, and I have tried searching the previous posts for an answer and could not find a satisfactory answer. So, onto the question.
What would be recommended for an anchor line size, 3/8, or 1/2 inch for a 24' pontoon. I am trying to find the ideal size line to use to get the proper reaction out of the anchor line. Is 3/8 to thin and stretch to tight causing the anchor to rip loose, or will it still perform like a shock absorber the way it should? Or is 1/2 to thick and not absorb the shock, which could also cause the anchor to rip loose?
I will be anchoring in some pretty stiff current quite offen, which is why I'm asking, cant decide which would be better to choose from.
I also have 10' of 3/8 anchor chain, and will be purchasing a danforth type anchor (or whatever type they sell at wall world).
Also I have researched the topic on google, and kept coming up with a 3/8 line for a 24' boat, I'm just wanting to get some personal experiences on the topic, what has and has not worked for others on here

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3/8 or 1/2

I have never used anything but 3/8" and it has worked well. Never snapped one yet and it does have some "give"..

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 3/8 or 1/2

Recommend investing a bit more and getting braided rope versus the cheap "twisted" rope.