vhf handhelds Cobra, Uniden, Standard Horizon

merc120_81

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all,
Looking at handheld VHF radios. I want to buy an from an american company if at all possible. As far as I can tell, Uniden, Standard Horizon are both Japaneese. Midland and Cobra seem to be american companies.

I am leaning toward Cobra HH330 anybody have any experience with tihs radio? Recomendations on handhelds?

Thanks.

jhebert

Ensign
Re: vhf handhelds Cobra, Uniden, Standard Horizon

As far as I can tell, Uniden [and] Standard-Horizon are both [Japanese]. Midland and Cobra seem to be [A]merican companies.

Standard-Horizon has had several owners in the past few years. That may reflect the high quality of their products, which made them attractive to competitors who want to own them rather than compete with them. They were part of MOTOROLA for a while, and MOTOROLA is the gold-standard of radio manufacturers. Fairly recently the marine products division was sold to Yaesu, which has headquarters in Japan. I find Standard-Horizon to be an excellent radio, and in California they have a significant presence, with repair, technical support, distribution, sales, and so on. If you contact Standard-Horizon you will get an American who works for an American company in America, Yaesu USA.

In my opinion, Midland and Cobra are lower-tier manufacturers, and inferior to Standard-Horizon. Check the country of origin on any of their radios and I bet you find it is somewhere in Asia.

UncleWillie

Captain

Are you concerned about where the products are made, or where the ultimate corporate office is located.?

Midland Radio's Parent Company is in Italy.

Cobra is a marketing company that imports electronics and has the manufacturer place the Cobra Brand on the equipment.
Much like Sears never made an appliance. The just had it made for them with the Kenmore Brand on the cabinet.

Whatever you buy is is going to be made in Asia. Japan, China, Korea.
But let's face it, they do good work!

cjjjdeck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I was in the market for my handheld I narrowed it down to Standard Horizon and iCom (because of their GPS/DSC feature). I ended up choosing Standard Horizon and have been very pleased with the quality and performance of the radio.

But merc's question makes me wonder if Lowrance's handheld model is American made (my guess would be it's still an Asian product)? I haven't been able to tell from their website. Anybody know?

And if Asia based products is all you are going to be able to choose from, I would definitely put Japanese manufactured/designed products as my first choice.

merc120_81

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you concerned about where the products are made, or where the ultimate corporate office is located.?

Midland Radio's Parent Company is in Italy.

Cobra is a marketing company that imports electronics and has the manufacturer place the Cobra Brand on the equipment.
Much like Sears never made an appliance. The just had it made for them with the Kenmore Brand on the cabinet.

Whatever you buy is is going to be made in Asia. Japan, China, Korea.
But let's face it, they do good work!

My concern on the country is on corporate ownership, ultimately where is my money going, is it going to grow the US economy or further our trade $$ deficite.
I am definitely looking for the best bang for my buck, and I am aiming in the lower tiers of cost (under $175 US). My current features are:
1)good radio, I rarely will be beyond a few miles off shore, and will usually have alot of traffic around me (Lake St. Clair, MI US).
2) Waterproof/resistant/floatable - I figure if the Sh#@$T hits the fan, I will be in the drink..

3) I like the feature of being able to use AA batteries, if the radio's lith-ion dies, and happens to go out of production.

Thanks all.. further thoughts?

jhebert

Ensign

My concern on the country is on corporate ownership, ultimately where is my money going...

That criterion will limit you. Motorola makes a handheld radio, but it is not specifically designed for the VHF Marine Band. You could buy one of their commercial-quality hand-held radios and have it channelized for the marine band. That would give you a radio with perhaps four to six channel and a cost of about $3,000. Good luck with your search.

The other "American" companies are just marketing companies. They typically have access to the last generation designs, have them copied in Asia, and put their brand on them.

My recommendation is for a Standard-Horizon radio. In my experience their radios and their service are excellent.

In U.S. Coast Guard small boats, the primary radios are Motorola radios, and the secondary radios are Standard-Horizon radios. The choice of those brands by the Coast Guard may give you some guidance.

Cf.: http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003304.html
Coast Guard Small Boat Radios

agallant80

Commander

What ever you get make sure it floats and is water proof. The one I have is not. Wish I knew before I bought.