Hmm...is that a boat in the backyard?

Tregs

Seaman Apprentice
I live in Wood County in East Texas. Someone recently dumped a 14' aluminum Flat bottom Eldocraft Jon boat on my land. I called the sheriff. They said to file for abandoned title if I wanted to keep it. In order to file form 1344, I need a serial number. I've been all over the boat and can't find one. It has a Tyler State Park sticker on it that expired in 1971 so that gives me an idea of the age. I called a boat dealer. They said the number is on the outer stern. It's not. Does anyone know if this boat is too old to have a hull number/serial number?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hmm...is that a boat in the backyard?

WOW sounds like a lucky dump or a PITA problem. I guess it depends on your perspective... I'd love to take it and rebuild it into a useable fishing outfit... If you can't find any reg numbers, then how could the officials find one either...? Not sure what years they started with hull numbers... Maybe some others will chime in here and add to your request.

oldjeep

Admiral

All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN.

So chances are it doesn't have one.

Tregs

Seaman Apprentice

I'd like to make a project of it. The transom is rotted and it has a big dent in the side so it needs some work it will be fun if I can get a title.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If it doesn't have a serial number, then it pretty much stands to reason it doesn't have a title. No title means no one on earth can claim ownership except the one in possession of it-- you.

Call your DMV and ask what the procedure is to have a boat serial numbered so you can title and register it. Usually that involves the Sheriff or other law enforcement official coming out and doing an inspection, running a background and stolen vehicle check, etc. Should be a fairly easy process, it's done all the time. I have a 1976 Harley Sportster that has a serial number ending in "ILL", which any HD owner can tell you ain't right! The bike was stolen and re-numbered as a 1978, the original owner never recovered it, so Illinois stamped a new number on the frame sometime before I bought it.

64osby

Admiral

In Michigan, if you can show ownership, (a simple bill of sale), they will assign a HIN number to the boat if it has none.

Did this with my 1963 Lone Star 14'er.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

I had to do this with a boat. No "standard" vin plate as it was a 1971 boat, so they told me it was up to me to contact a place that would make a metal VIN plate to affix to my boat. Never did get a place to do it. I pay to register my boat, let them pay to get a VIN plate for it.

Dam2009

Seaman

Someone recently dumped a 14' aluminum Flat bottom Eldocraft Jon boat on my land.

I had that happen to me once or twice.. but instead of boat, it was a pile of someone's garbage.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

A buddy found a 12foot alum boat way out in the woods,no id plate or anything,figured it was stolen,plate taken off. Well I happend to see another in a scrap yard smashed to bits,he got the plate from that, good to go.,it was there for quite some time as it was sunk in the ground and covered in moss.

Tregs

Seaman Apprentice

After several calls to TPW, lots of web surfing, and a call to the game warden, I know the process for registering the boat in Texas.

Schedule an appointment with the game warden. He will inspect it, check it for a HIN, then assign and affix a number if he can't find one on the boat. I then fill out form 1344 on the TPW website. I take the printed form to the TPW office. They will post it at the county and on their website. If nobody claims it in 6 months, I can begin the paperwork for a bonded title, although I'm not sure how anyone can claim a boat without an HIN or a title. Once I get a title, I can register it.

That's a lot of work for a beat up boat with a dent in the side and a rotten transom, but I like the idea of putting an old boat back on the water, so I guess I'll schedule an appointment with the game warden.......