Adding closed cooling to old engine

B.matt

Seaman
Purchasing a 1998 sea ray 270 with a 7.4 l and bravo 3. The engine has 390 hrs of saltwater use. Can I add closed cooling or is it too old.

Thanks

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Adding closed cooling to old engine

Purchasing a 1998 sea ray 270 with a 7.4 l and bravo 3. The engine has 390 hrs of saltwater use. Can I add closed cooling or is it too old.

Thanks

I would say way too old, plus the salt that gets into the engine pores will mess up the coolant mix, turning it into a gelotinous mess.. Bet there's a bunch of stuff/rust in the block / heads already. Would love to put closed cooling on my '92, but nope. (I have 1300 hours on her). Been in fresh water for 3 years and inside looked kind of nasty when I did the thermostat this year. When engine lets go and is replaced, closed cooling then, but as of now, no-go.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if it was a freshwater boat, you would have a chance. I put a heat exchanger on my boat before I put it in salt water. However as pointed out, you already have 390 hours in the salt. your past the point of putting on an HX until you replace your motor. and manifolds.

tpenfield

Staff member

You can add closed cooling and yes it probably is too old for any real benefit. If you ever get to a point of replacing the engine (longblock, etc) then go for it at that time.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

if it was a freshwater boat, you would have a chance. I put a heat exchanger on my boat before I put it in salt water. However as pointed out, you already have 390 hours in the salt. your past the point of putting on an HX until you replace your motor. and manifolds.

Yeah. I installed full closed cooling on my 1997 7.4L//Bravo III combo when I installed it.

But it was never in salt water and only had 122 hrs since new,

Do it with a salt water engine that old and you will have the risk of a heat exchanger failure due to clogging.