1968 Johnson 9.5 questions

plav77

Cadet
Hi there,

My buddy gave me a 1968 9.5 Johnson today that hasn't been running for over 10 years. I got it started but have a couple questions.

#1 - Above the prop on the bottom of the anti-ventilation plate there is a little hole and its leaking foamy brown oil with black chunks of grit in it. Anyone know what this hole is and what is coming out of it?

#2 - It's running pretty rough and won't stay idle without stopping. Guessing it probably needs a carb kit \ cleaning done on it? Is this a easy thing to do? Any step by step instructions anywhere?

#3 - Any other maintenance that should be done on it after sitting for 10 years?

Thanks in advance. I'm pretty excited to get this motor running smoothly!

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1968 Johnson 9.5 questions

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/top-secret-file-updated-8-1-2012-a-299680.html
Have a look here for some tips and ideas as to where to start and where to go.
Welcome to LeeRoy's Ramblings
Also here for more specific 9.5 information.
It should get new gear oil, carb. kit, fuel lines, points. maybe coils, impeller and what not. Before I spend much money on a motor I check compression. Yours should be above 60 and the two cylinders within 10% of each other. Fuel mix is 50/1 TCW3 outboard oil. Water cooled so always make sure you run it in a barrel with water well above the impeller. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Best of luck. Rick.

jbjennings

Captain

If I have anything to add, it's to use a fan to blow away the exhaust gases when you're running it in a barrel. You'll never get it tuned right if it's sucking it's own exhaust. Those motors sometimes develop exhaust leaks into the cowl. Check for good compression--I'd expect about 80- 90psi on both cylinders. If compression is good, I'd clean the carb (easy), change the pull starter cord (if the pull-cord breaks it'll likely break the high-dollar spring), change out the water pump impeller and lower unit oil as stated. Then I'd check for good spark on both wires. 50:1 fuel to oil mix.
I'd then start working out and try to lose about 60 pounds so I could get on plane in a 14 foot boat.. :)
JBJ

plav77

Cadet

Thanks for the replies!

Any ideas what the foamy oil is in Question #1?
Is there a link with the proper procedure to doing a compression test?

Thanks again.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Smell the oil, does it smell like gear oil?

Rick.

Captain

The oil mess is likely unburned fuel oil mix that runs down the exhaust and drains at the hole. Nothing to worry about. Rick.

plav77

Cadet

So I took apart and cleaned the water pump today, it looked ok.
Also cleaned out the chunks that where coming out the drain hole.
Ran the engine for 5 minutes and then checked the compression.
Both came back with 80 PSI, is that good?

nwcove

Admiral

good on the compression, but you should really have changed the impeller while you had it apart, they tend to take a "set" after not being ran for 10 years.