115 hp merc lower unit question

reynold460

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi guys i have a 115 hp merc outboard serial number oc106992 i recently rebuilt the powerhead and was putting everything back together i went to put the shift cable back on and i tried to slide the shifter into neutral it will go into neutral but it wont stay in neutral but it will go into forward and reverse fine .
when i went to put the powerhead on the shift lever was turned way out of its normal travel , did i turn the shift lever the wrong way ? is this possible ? thanks for any help you guys can give in advance

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 115 hp merc lower unit question

Yep possible, i often knock things and dont realise.

Drop the lU and get it going into FNR.

reynold460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well thats what i did must have had the cam backwards took off lower unit got it to go into all the gears put the l.u. back on and it works fine
so i got everything back together and everything seems fine except running on muffs it will cut out once in awhile like miss real bad but it stays running and when it does it it throws a puff of blue smoke got to wonder if its because i got the gas mixed 25 to 1 for break in , anyhow i figured i would run it down to the lake so i could test a lil more never took it off the trailer but i ran it at about 1500 rpm for awhile same thing would run fine then just miss and blue smoke, also noticed if i squeeze the primer bulb while running would do the same thing miss and carry on a few seconds then run fine again , so after going to the lake i came home ran on muffs again and adjusted timing some [dont have a timing light or dail indicator yet ] put it to where it would idle best and it seemed alot better thinkin if i get the timing etc in order i will be fine ,
wondering if you guys ever ran into this or what ya think thanks guys

Bosunsmate

Admiral

25 to one may be your problem
Could be that you need to clean the carbs and check the fuel floats are closing off the flow ok