Carbs rebuilt now engine runs like CRUD!

thesignguy

Seaman
My original post:

http://forums.iboats.com/johnson-evinrude-outboards/1988-88spl-sputters-dies-wot-582559.html

1988 88SPL So I rebuilt the carbs and the fuel pump. It started up right away but the idle was really bad and erratic. While the engine was running I saw gas leaking from the bottom carb, around the float. Almost like the float was stuck open and the extra gas had nowhere to go.

When I rebuilt the carbs the plastic piece where the float is I removed the high speed orifices but did not pay much attention as to how many turns it took to remove them. I just pulled them out cleaned them then tightened them back in.

I did not sinc and link yet, I'm trying to see why the carbs would be leaking and backing up.

I have the carbs off so I can trouble shot before I reinstall them.

I do have the factory service manual with the how to but I messed something up and don't know where to start. Call me stupid but I thought this would be easy....

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Carbs rebuilt now engine runs like CRUD!

Turn it upside down see if you can blow in or if it has being shut off.
If it hast being shut off then check the seat and needle. If it shuts off check the float works and adjust the float to close a bit earlier

thesignguy

Seaman

Turning the carbs upside down and right side up I can hear the top float hit the plastic but the bottom one does not sound the same. Like it is restricted, I replaced the seats and needles too.

I never thought of blowing into the carbs to see if the floats are working correctly. I'll give that a go... Thanks

thesignguy

Seaman

Okay, I totally went through everything I replaced and fixed 3 issues I saw.

1. Gas was leaking around the top plate and bottom bowl of the bottom carb. Tightened all the screws on both carbs, checked the float for open/close and reinstalled.

2. I did not replace a zip tie/clamp on the primer solenoid causing gas to leak as well. Installed a new zip tie and the gas did not leak.

3. While removing the carbs I accidentally moved the primer solenoid switch to prime instead of run. After checking the manual and making sure the solenoid was working correctly I set it to the correct position.

Once everything was back to together she fired right up and purred like a kitten. Now I'll take it out this weekend to see if that WOT issue was fixed. Fingers crossed!!

thesignguy

Seaman

Grrrr. So I dropped the boat in tonight.

She took 5-6 tries to get started but once started she idled fine.

Heading out from the ramp I gave it a little more throttle off of idle and almost like a miss started ( I don't have a tach so I'm not sure what RPM this started at, maybe around 2k? ). The engine did not act like it wanted to die so I just gave it WOT the engine shook a bit like a small miss and slowly picked up some RPM's until the boat came up on plane and ran with out a hitch back to our dock.

I can tell it is lacking some power I just can tell how much, if that little mid RPM miss was not there I would think she ran great!

I'll pull the plugs tomorrow to see what they look like any one have other suggestions? Please??

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

did you try bosuns carb float test? put a pressure tester between pump and carbs , 2-4 psi. is good. suspect sticky float needle assembly on bottom carb. or small crud in the idle circuit