Replaced Diaphram on OLD west bend/ChryslehNeed help asap please

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I replaced the gasket and diaphram on my old 1963-1965? West Bend 45HP Engine, its formed like an 8. I have never done this, I put the gasket first then the diaphram, checked for spark, everything seems great but i dont think fuel is getting to cylinders so i think i put the diaphram in wrong if thats possible, can anyone give me detailed information on how to prime the fuel pump(dipahram) or fix this so i can get out on the water tomorrow? Thanks so much! BTW plugs seems to be dry when i checked after i cranked it a million times with my NEW starter ;(

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replaced Diaphram on OLD west bend/ChryslehNeed help asap please

If you still have the old style two piece pump that uses a bent steel strap to secure it to the block and head, then I believe the diaphragm goes against the bottom part of the pump ( the part with the glass bowl) and the gasket goes on top of the diaphragm.

Not to be too obvious, but are you priming the carb and pump with the primer ball? These engines are not self priming. Have you checked all hoses and fittings? Is the carb dirty with the possibility of the inlet needle clogged or stuck? Is the float level set correctly and does the float move freely?

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well if you take off top, I put gasket on then diaphragm, i put it on the way i took the old on off. Didnt have issues running a few days ago other than the starter went. Now after i installed the new diaphragm too it wont start. Top plug had a little fuel on it bottom was dry which is why i am confused. is there any other special way to install these or just put on and screw it in like a gasket.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I got turned around last night. You have the gasket and diaphragm installed correctly.

Try priming the cylinders themselves: Remove both plugs and squirt in about a teaspoon full of premix fuel. replace plugs and wires then crank the engine over (without choking) Until it clears itself and starts. If it runs on the prime then stalls, you can be sure it is a fuel problem. If it will not start and run, then you need to look at ignition.

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I'll try that, i cleaned out carb and stuff this morning, checked hose from pump to carb and it was pumping gas just fine, it tried to start a few times and smoked a bit so i am assuming i just need to somehow get this things started to clean out, cranks and seems like everything is great just gotta get past that initial warm up phase to clean it out i think.

Brock.Ward

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so got it started, have to take out screw on top of carb and in front...weird...but she runs...any ideas...float adjustment? ?just need to warm her up?