Portable Motor Transportation

duck-n-pond

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so I picked up a small boat and wanted a small 'portable' motor to putter around some of the smaller ponds and lakes for fishing. For a motor, I got a new 2013 Yamaha F2.5 (4 stroke). When picking up at the dealer, he was concerned that I was laying motor on its side to transport home and he added he would not do that much. To that I objected 'dude, it's a portable motor. That's the whole point of getting the smallest motor'. Now this may have had something to do with a fee they wanted to install on the boat....but. Sooooo, providing I obey the rules for laying down on the correct side, is there anything to be concerned about? Not willing to transport on the trailer, but having motor in the back of the suv strapped down.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: Portable Motor Transportation

somebody will chime in but yes there is a correct way and a bad way to transport 4 strokes.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Other than that, a little history. OMC made a side shift small engine back in the '50-'60 era. If you lay it in your trunk on the left side it was held in the air in the front by the tiller handle. If you lay it on the right side it sits on the shift lever. Over time it will mechanically wear out the shifter. BTDT (Bought one, I had better sense than to do it.)

So, once you get by any unique 4 stroke constraints, don't forget about cosmetics (scratching up the cowling and all) and unnecessary mechanical damage.

Mark

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ok, so I picked up a small boat and wanted a small 'portable' motor to putter around some of the smaller ponds and lakes for fishing. For a motor, I got a new 2013 Yamaha F2.5 (4 stroke). When picking up at the dealer, he was concerned that I was laying motor on its side to transport home and he added he would not do that much. To that I objected 'dude, it's a portable motor. That's the whole point of getting the smallest motor'. Now this may have had something to do with a fee they wanted to install on the boat....but. Sooooo, providing I obey the rules for laying down on the correct side, is there anything to be concerned about? Not willing to transport on the trailer, but having motor in the back of the suv strapped down.

Just send an e-mail to Yamaha or call them to be sure.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You lay it on one certain side to keep the oil running out of the c/c breather. Don't know what Yamaha recommends. Call them.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

IMAG0152.jpg

If it is like the Suzuki I have there will be a sticker right on the cowl saying "do not lay engine on this side" or "Lay engine on this side." I forget the exact wording. Difficult to read in the photo, but there, and, this is a bigger engine--30 HP..

Like you said: "Dude---It's a portable engine!" Are you required to transport it on a stand? I doubt it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It must be transported on the side designated for that purposes. You would also be advised to have the top of the motor raised a bit (on a pillow of sorts). This ensures oil does not get into or out of places it is not supposed to.

duck-n-pond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for replies. I have always had much larger engines (50hp smallest) and always 2 stroke, so this issue had never come up. I know there is a particular side to lay it on, and to Texasmark's comment, it is the tiller side. Good tip by Silvertip, it's not like the vehicle is always level. Not sure how much tilt would cause it to spill oil. I have laid it on an old life jacket, but a big ol' dog pillow would be better (I guess Fido will be pissed this weekend ha ha). Plus, I do strap it down back there in case of accident (I hate walking around with a prop sticking out of my head). I fell better not seeing any hysterical replies of NEVER DO THAT. Thanks to responders.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

just to expand th etopic a bit, two strokes should not be stored on their back--that is, with the spark plugs down, even though that's the best shape and avoids the workings. A motor stored like that will seize up.
But that's over a couple months or more, not a car trip home; you just stand it up and maybe pull the rope once.

saumon

Lieutenant

Yamaha claims that their newer (2013) portable 4-stroke can be laid on any side.

Provides peace of mind when storing or carrying the engine to and from the water. This Yamaha exclusive feature allows for the engine to be stored on either side or on the front grip without any fear of oil leakage assuring the engine is easy to start the first time out.