115HP evenrude tilt and trim leaking hydrolic fluid

Jeffneal1988

Cadet
On my 115hp evenrude tilt and trim the motor works it just runs but nothing happens. I also notice when I do let the motor down manualy the right hydrolic squirts out fluid. So Is this what would be causing the tilt and trim not to work. How would I troubleshoot this issue to find the problem

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 115HP evenrude tilt and trim leaking hydrolic fluid

Yep thats the likely cause and low fluid
You need to fix the leak

RRitt

Captain

seal kit including new upper seals for all rams. you will have to examine the parts diagrams to make sure that all upper seals are included. Some manufacturers sell upper seals separately and some even require you to buy a new cylinder cap (aka head).

you need to make sure that no water remains in your system even if this requires a full drain, flush, fill. If oil comes out, then water can go in. Trim systems depend upon precision tolerance ball bearings and steel compression springs for operation. Water will attack both of these and, in extreme cases, can even lead to non-repairable system failures.

as regards draining & filling. If you do drain & fill then the best way to fill is usually during assembly. You leave the manual release open (with engine safely and securely blocked up) and pour your DX3 fluid directly into cylinder before inserting piston. you push piston into place just past top threads and install cylinder head. This eliminates the air bubble under piston and and virtually eliminates the need for post assembly system bleed.

Jeffneal1988

Cadet

do you know where I can find a seal kit for it the motor is actually a 74 115hp but I cant seem to find anything regarding the tilt and trim for a 115hp just the 135hp would it be the same and were can I find them

RRitt

Captain

oooo .... 1974. if you are lucky then you have the prestolite two ram system. I sell ram seal kits for those on ebay. The pump is repairable but definitely not DIY friendly. The chinese are making a $140 replacement motor that is adequate quality. ARCO and other USA make motors for $250ish that are almost as good as original.

If you are kind of unlucky then you have a calco two ram system. the rams are the same but the pump is an orphan with no meaningful parts or support. You should just run the Calco until it is dead and then replace it with a prestolite (look for the OMC I/O version of same off ebay or craigslist).

the biggest issue with 2 ram systems is the trim ram with electric sensor. you have to be very careful to clean up the rust without damaging the sensor winding and to make sure that the seals around sensor are watertight after rebuild.

if you are way unlucky then you have something entirely other than the classic two ram system. I don't think so though. I think the two ram was used on everything from pre-history through 1980ish and then continued on with smaller engines until 1989. If you do have something else then you're going to have to take some pictures and post them.