100HP Johnson Javelin Carbs. NEED HELP!!!!!

kcl163

Cadet
I have a 1979 Johnson Javelin outboard and need to rebuild the carbs. Problem is I've never done marine carbs before but have done work on motorcycle and vehicle carbs. So I'm not sure how different they are and if y'all could give me a little advice or tips and tricks on rebuilding my carbs it would be greatly appreciated. And before anyone asks if I'm sure it's my carbs I'll give a rundown of what's happening and if somebody has something different for me to try I will since I'm new to the marine world.

I can get the boat to start in neutral with throttle about half down. After it fires off I'll get the RPM's up and throw it in forward real fast just to get it going. If the throttle sits any less then half it'll die. Wide open I can't get out of the hole and cruise around doing about 15MPH. Ran a comprssion test and my readings were... 120, 119, 122, 120. Which I was informed were spot on. It had sat for about a year since it ran last, and was running great before so I see no reason for power packs to be bad. And yes I ran fresh pre mix through it seeing how it's a two-stroke. Also getting spark across the board. Now after all that information let me get y'alls opinion and advice.

Thanks guys!!!!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 100HP Johnson Javelin Carbs. NEED HELP!!!!!

Agree, compression is just fine. The way it sounds that engine may not be firing on all 4 cyls. Have you done a spark check?