Weld broke off trailer

littelemon

Recruit
Hello Folks...

I had a question that you all can help me out with...

Long story short.... Was coming home from the lake with the boat and the weld broke off the trailer... Now I wanted to know if this was worth getting a mobile welder to come out and fixng this or am I just better off getting a used trailer since it has a little too much rust on it...

OR---- I have another guy that has a used trailer for $250 and is (same size boat 14ft) willing to part with it for me... Only problem is that this trailer is for V and not a Tri like mine... How hard is it to modify the trailer to fit my boat...

Here is a pic of where it broke.

Thanks in advance folks...

Attachments

• tralier.jpg
    tralier.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
Re: Weld broke off trailer

Close up would be better, but it appears there is a lot of rust. Most of the time you can modify trailers but a picture here to be sure.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I'm with Bondo: buy the other trailer and scrap yours. With a little thought and a couple of extra pieces, you can easily modify almost any trailer to fit almost any hull.

oldjeep

Admiral

Looks like junk to me. Pull the hubs, rims and tires off and get rid of it. Did it damage the boat at all?

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I personally can't tell much from that picture alone. Post a few more so we can make a better guestimation. If you have access to some welding equipment, then your trailer is totally repairable. However, if you don’t have such equipment and don’t know how to repair such issues then you are probably better off buying another... And I agree, most any trailer can be adjusted or configured to fit most any type boat...within reason.

oldjeep

Admiral

I personally can't tell much from that picture alone. Post a few more so we can make a better guestimation. If you have access to some welding equipment, then your trailer is totally repairable.

I've got a lot of welding equipment, and there is no reliable way to repair a tinfoil 14ft trailer once it breaks - rusty or not. If you look at the picture it is not really a weld that broke, the frame rail tore and deformed.

tralier.jpg
attachment.php

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Looks more like a once repaired weld broke again after the repaired spot.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I've got a lot of welding equipment, and there is no reliable way to repair a tinfoil 14ft trailer once it breaks - rusty or not. If you look at the picture it is not really a weld that broke, the frame rail tore and deformed.

View attachment 192015
attachment.php

Not trying to start an argument, but yes it can be repaired. At least around my area any type metal can be purchased (relatively cheaply compared to buying a new trailer) and replaced and welded in place to make any project doable. Now if your time is included in that effort and/or you just don't want to do the work, then yes trash it and buy something else. But regardless what piece is rusted through it can be replaced. But I would have to see the entire trailer to evaluate its condition before repairing anything. If the rest of the trailer is in reasonable condition, I’d replace the “Tin Foil” metal with a new piece and sand and paint the trailer to new again... But that is just my opinion... I do like those type projects though... :)

oldjeep

Admiral

Not trying to start an argument, but yes it can be repaired. At least around my area any type metal can be purchased (relatively cheaply compared to buying a new trailer) and replaced and welded in place to make any project doable. Now if your time is included in that effort and/or you just don't want to do the work, then yes trash it and buy something else. But regardless what piece is rusted through it can be replaced. But I would have to see the entire trailer to evaluate its condition before repairing anything. If the rest of the trailer is in reasonable condition, I’d replace the “Tin Foil” metal with a new piece and sand and paint the trailer to new again... But that is just my opinion... I do like those type projects though... :)

Assuming you tried what you are describing - what are you going to do about the stress risers on the spliced in piece? Even with a fish plate, patches on tinfoil sheet metal crack right next to the new welds. If you sleeved it then maybe, except that you wouldn't be able to get a sleeve in there dues to the huge crappy weld seam that you get inside that type of sheet metal box tube.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Even if that break can be repaired I wouldn't trust that trailer with a load on it at 65mph! Matter of fact I don't think I would trust my boat on it at any speed.

As it is said, everything is repairable but at what cost?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Scrap out the trailer after salvaging anything useful off it. Repairs to this kind of thing can be extremely hit and miss as you never know just how much "good meat" is left after accounting for the rust factor inside and out of the channels and tubing.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

All I would add is when metal gets that fatigued, time to replace it.
Out of curiosity how does the other side look, any cracks showing?

littelemon

Recruit

Thanks for all the replies guys... I forgot to add the other picture (damn noob)... here is the up close one... also, I have attached two links to show what my boat looks like and what the other one looks like that I plan on picking up... do you think I should have a problem with putting my Tri onto this V trailer... some folks here at work with boats seem to agree that it will not need to be modified to fit since it seems to be the same... but I'd figure I would reach out the the folks here to get input also... Like always THANKS for all your answers and feedback...

My boat (link I found that is the same as mine,even color lol)...

Google Image Result for http://www.ribmountainmarine.com/images/ribmountainmarine/VP2063996_1.jpg

Here is the link to the one that I may pick up from ebay (luck would have it that we are both in the same state/1hr away)

14 ft Starcraft Boat with Old 50 HP OB Mercury Motor Project Boat with Trailer | eBay

Attachments

• trailer 2.jpg
    trailer 2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 0

oldjeep

Admiral

That picture really shows some issues. Looks like a lot of accumulated booty fab from someone with a stick welder. Definitely junk.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Just to be clear you didn't have a weld break off you had structural failure of your main beam, I would look to replace the trailer, as others have said it certainly looks like someone has tried to repair that trailer and did a pretty poor job, it is a steel trailer and like any steel trailers yes it can be repaired properly but it looks like you will just be building a brand new trailer(if I were to do it anyway), any repairs you make properly will only transfer the stresses elsewhere and so the only way to properly repair it would be to rebuild it. The good part is its probably not a complex trailer and you could rebuild it in a weekend then paint it provided you are a fairly skilled welder and fabricator, for most though your looking at a new trailer.

It really bothers me when people weld on boat trailers but then do not do the proper rust mitigation to the repaired sections, welds look to shallow and they added more steel in the wrong places, generally poor engineering on the part of the person doing the repair. Pretty sad deal, I am impressed by your McGyver Skills with the strap to get it home though well done!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I agree that someone who was not a welder (but owned one) has done a horrible job of welding on this trailer. The spring shackle would be the next thing to fall off. Junk it after removing the wheels. They can be sold if you can't use them.

looks like it held together well considering the crack is half rusted so its been gone for a while before the last part finnaly quit. If you get a used trailer take a close look for stress cracks and patching. If the trailer had punched the hull the trailer would seem like a cheap fix compaired to a hole that requires the floor to be removed to repair it.

matt167

Captain

If I were doing the 'repair', it would cost a little shy of $500 because I would reuse the wheels, hubs, axle, springs ( if possible ), winch/ stand and the rollers/ bunks if they were still good and just build/replace the entire trailer frame.. With the failed repair, the only way is to replace, so basically just pattern the new trailer frame after what is there..

It's probably cheaper in every way to replace the trailer with a used 1 than attempt any repair