Recommendations: Bazooka tube and amp questions/suggestions

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Please bear with me, I'm a bit of an audio n00b...

A buddy of mine gave me an enclosure with two 12" subs and a 600 watt amp (this one: Coustic 601SE 2 Channel Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com) that he wasn't using for his car anymore, and I was planning on ditching the enclosure and mounting the subs under the rear bench seat in my Four Winns Sundowner, but unfortunately I found out once I got the boat out of storage that I only have about 10.5" of height to work with, which pretty much rules out any subs (even 8"), since all said and done they are too large.

So now, I'm thinking that an 8" Bazooka tube ( this guy: Amazon.com: Bazooka MBT8014 8-Inch 4-Ohm Marine: Electronics) might just fit perfectly under the rear bench, and I could still use the amp he gave me to power it. However, I'm wondering;
1) would a 600 watt amp be too much power for that tube? It says its power handling is 150 watts. If so, perhaps I would be better off going for the internally amplified version of the Bazooka Tube, and ditching the amp...?
2) Would an 8" tube in an enclosed space under a bench give me a worthwhile boost in bass?

This is the bench I'm talking about:

ampspot.jpg

Also on another note: I'm currently running 4 6" Fusion speakers, two topside and two in the cabin. I'd like to add two more 4" Fusion speakers topside, and amp the 4 topside speakers. Any recommendations on a 4 channel amp that would suit my application? I'm on a bit of a budget so the cheaper the better, but I don't want crap quality either.

Any advice is appreciated,
Thanks!

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Recommendations: Bazooka tube and amp questions/suggestions

I tried looking around to find out if that 150 watts listed is RMS or peak. Typically it's peak so I will just assume that's the case here. In that instance, yes a 600 watt amp is too much. Especially that amp since the 600 watts listed it it's RMS. You'll be throwing 600 watts constant to a sub that is only designed to handle 75. Even if the listed 150 on the tube is RMS the amp is still quadruple it's rating.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Amps do have GAIN/input sensitivity settings. An amplifier rated @ 600watts is also NOT pushing 600watts RMS, thats PEAK power. Thats also a 2 channel amp, so thats 600w between both channels BRIDGED. One channel is only going to put out ~300watts, and thats peak power. The amp will be fine for what you need it for, just turn the gains down (set them properly) and be done with it.

The bazooka tubes are great, it will give you some added bass, but its not going to blow you away. You also probably wont get any effect outside of the boat whatsoever. I was going to go with one of the bazooka tubes and hide it in the storage compartment just forward of the helm, but ended up going with a 10" marine sub cut into one of my seat bases in my horizon instead.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh by the way, in regards to space under your rear seat - 10.5" is more than enough to install a sub in. You could do a couple of 8" subs, or maybe even find a 10" with a very small mounting ring. My RF 10" marine sub is only barely 11" (thats the OD of the cover/grille - 11").

Just noticed your questions about the mids as well - if you want to amp 4x speakers, and a sub.. have you considered a 5 channel amp that would just do everything? I just picked up a 5 channel Class D amp (Kenwood) for my boat for $250 bucks.

Knot Waiting

An amplifier rated @ 600watts is also NOT pushing 600watts RMS, thats PEAK power. Thats also a 2 channel amp, so thats 600w between both channels BRIDGED. One channel is only going to put out ~300watts, and thats peak power. The amp will be fine for what you need it for, just turn the gains down (set them properly) and be done with it.

The specs for that particular amp state 600 RMS.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The specs for that particular amp state 600 RMS.
You're right. At least from the specs that can be found. A lot of cheap amp companies can claim any numbers they want (ie, Pyle), some of the bigger brands are CEA 2006 Compliant, don't know if this company has their amps tested by this same standard, or if that particular amp is actually outputting 600watts, hard to say.

Knot Waiting

You're right. At least from the specs that can be found. A lot of cheap Amp companies can claim any numbers they want (ie, Pyle), some of the bigger brands are CEA 2006 Compliant, don't know if this company has their amps tested by this same standard, or if that particular amp is actually outputting 600watts, hard to say.

Agreed. I've never heard of Coustic myself so I'm a bit skeptical of the claim as well. Although I know MB Quart rates their amps at RMS (ex: NAU660) and their pretty reputable. Sure makes it easier to calculate that way though.

To the OP: I would do like h2odick suggested and install 2 8" subs under the bench rather than stuff a Bazooka tube under there. It'll sound alot better.

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies!

I've looked briefly at 8" subs, and the outside diameter of all of them seems to be 10"+, which I think is too large considering I need to leave a little room around the circle I cut.
edit: If the diameter of the outside ring is less that 10.5", I suppose that would work. Hmm.

Also, would I need to have some sort of enclosure if I installed a sub(s) under the rear bench? Or can I just cut a hole and install it? The bench and space inside of it is sort of an enclosure in itself, I suppose.

Also, regarding the amp, I was planning on just using the amp I was given for the sub, so it'd be cheaper for me to just buy a 4-channel amp and use two amps rather than buy a 5-channel amp.
Would the 600watt amp I was given be too much power for two 8" subs?

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Putting the tube under the bench will severely limit the output which won't be all that great to begin with. You would be better off finding a 10" free air sub that could fit in the space you have. Or even a couple 8" subs. If you want to power all off of one amp, take a look at the JL XD600/6. I installed one a few years ago to drive the 6 speakers in the boat. Works well, class D, small footprint.

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, so say something like this sub:

Amazon.com: Polk Audio db840DVC 8-Inch Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer: Electronics

If I'm understanding it right, the outside diameter of the outer ring is 10.4", so that should fit in the carpeted space in my picture, in theory.
Now, could I just cut out a circular hole and mount the sub into the bench, using the bench as an enclosure? Or would I need to build something to enclose the rear of the speaker?

Also, for this application, how many watts should an amplifier have to power it?
Or on the other hand, what 5 channel amp would you recommend for powering the sub I linked to above (180 watts continuous/360 peak), two 4" speakers (120 watts, 4 ohms) and two 6.5" speakers (200w, 4 ohms)?

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, would I need to have some sort of enclosure if I installed a sub(s) under the rear bench? Or can I just cut a hole and install it? The bench and space inside of it is sort of an enclosure in itself, I suppose.

Also, regarding the amp, I was planning on just using the amp I was given for the sub, so it'd be cheaper for me to just buy a 4-channel amp and use two amps rather than buy a 5-channel amp.
Would the 600watt amp I was given be too much power for two 8" subs?

You can use "infinite baffle" subwoofers if you just want to cut a hole into the boat and screw a subwoofer in.
Also remember, when thinking of mounting diameters and stuff - a 10" sub only uses a 9" hole cutout.

You can buy a seperate amp, and use two amps sure. I hope you have a lot of battery power, and a decent alternator. Running 2x Class A/B amps is going to suck down the juice, even at relatively low volumes. If you do buy a second amp, consider a "Class D" amp, it will be more energy efficient.

As far as subs go, if you do not plan on using an enclosure, you must go with an infinite baffle sub. Do not count on the seat base or any part of the boat to act as a decent enclosure, either go infinite baffle sub, or go with an enclosure, and a sub designed to go with that type of enclosure (sealed or ported).

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, so say something like this sub:
Now, could I just cut out a circular hole and mount the sub into the bench, using the bench as an enclosure? Or would I need to build something to enclose the rear of the speaker?

Check my previous post.

Also, for this application, how many watts should an amplifier have to power it?
Or on the other hand, what 5 channel amp would you recommend for powering the sub I linked to above (180 watts continuous/360 peak), two 4" speakers (120 watts, 4 ohms) and two 6.5" speakers (200w, 4 ohms)?

Several 5 channel amps would fit this bill, depending on how much you want to spend. I recently picked up a Kenwood XR-5s that is 80w x 4, and 350w x 1 (RMS), runs my Fosgate stuff nicely. I also like the Alpine PDX amps, as well as the JL XD amps that Silverbullet mentioned (just a little pricey).

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hmm, check out this one:

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

It says the mounting diameter is a little over 9", this one may work, and it sounds like it would fit my application perfectly (infinite baffle).

I'm still unsure as to how much amp (5-channel) I would need to power all 5 of these speakers though (I'm a n00b!). Any input there?

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1) Alpine PDX-V9 - 100w x 4, 500w x 1 (This is probably a little overkill for you, but remember you can always turn it down. Ignore the prices on the website.)

2) Kenwood XR-5S - 80w x 4, 350 x 1 (This is a perfect size for you, the price on this can be had much cheaper as well.)

3) JL XD700/5 - 75w x 4, 300w x 1 (This is also perfect for you. Going to be pricier than the first two though.)

Just a few that are rated well for your application. There is a couple other solutions from those same manufacturers, as well as a couple others. Depending on the sub(s) you end up with, you will need something 75-100w RMS per channel for your speakers, and 150-500w+ depending on your sub(s).

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh, and the Alpine stuff (like their marine sub, and their marine speakers (6.5" and 7")) are top notch. Their marine infinite baffle sub would be fine, Rockford Fosgate makes a couple, JL Audio, Clarion, and few others make infinite baffle/marine stuff.

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks very much, that's exactly the info I was looking for!

Now once I decide on components, I'll need to figure out how to wire it all... LOL

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wiring is fairly straight forward, specially if you already have an existing stereo system. Lemme know if ya need anything.
BTW, sent ya a PM.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Save yourself the pain and go all class D amps. It's worth the money.

35276_1436892696435_945812_n.jpg

Ck111484

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay, so I ended up buying a 10" sub, a pair of 4" speakers and a 5-way amp, so I will be powering everything (4 speakers + sub) with the amp.
Which means it should be simpler to wire, right? Basically, I'll have the 2 RCA lines from the head unit to the amp, all the speaker wires to the amp, and the power wire and ground from the amp to the battery(ies)... right?

If so, I just need to figure out how to wire it so that the amp draws from the battery I choose to use via the selector switch (you can choose A, B or both). Any idea how to do this? Where would I tap in?

Dawg'sLife93

Petty Officer 1st Class

You really shouldn't "Tap in" when wiring an amp. You need to run a whole new power led from one of the batteries to the amp. With the size amp to power all the speakers, you should go with at least a 4 gauge wire. Buy a good amp install kit, it'll come with everything you need, except an extra pair of RCA cables. Please post the brand and model of the amp you bought, it'll help us give you better advise.\

Something like this, as a min.

Amazon.com: Boss 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit - Installation Kit: Electronics