1999 Johnson 130hp difficult to throttle up/down?

thyNemesis

Seaman
I have a 1999 Johnson 130hp motor, recently had it out for it's maiden voyage and now I'm working on a few minor issues before my next outing.

It's very difficult to move the throttle back and forth from reverse to forward and such...

Is there a grease fitting somewhere on this control box, any ideas where to begin to look for this type of issue?

Picture is of the control box I have on my boat.

Thanks,

Attachments

• controlBox.jpg
    controlBox.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 0

thyNemesis

Seaman
Re: 1999 Johnson 130hp difficult to throttle up/down?

Well, today I went out and removed the cable end from the engine. I put the throttle into foward/reverse a few times and it seems to move without binding or feeling stiff as when it's connected.

So, now it appears to be in the engine, the linkage or ???

Any ideas, tips?

Thanks

thyNemesis

Seaman
Re: 1999 Johnson 130hp difficult to throttle up/down?

Status update for sticky throttle.

I tore apart the lower unit to replace the water pump since the stream coming out the tube was not very strong looking, sort of like a trickle. It looks as though the previous boat owner had run the pump dry and had melted some of the plastic housing into the water outlet hole preventing full flow.

Replaced with new water pump and housing unit. Now I have a nice stream coming out of the outlet! Awesome!

Next, was the sticky throttle issue. Once the lower unit was out for the water pump replacment, My brother in-law and I were trying to move the shift selector up/down by-hand, we could barely move it, So here, was the problem area.

We removed shift cover plate and tried to spin the cover on the shift rod and it would not spin very easily. Found out that there are two small o-rings the sandwhich between the top and bottom of the plate that go onto the shift rod. It looks like they had been gouged or nicked and a piece had folded over on-to-itself causing the shift rod to be difficult to engage the gears. Went and purchase a few o-rings, installed and tested the function of shifting forward/reverse, very easy to shift now!

Ready to get back out in the water again this weekend!

Last edited: