Epoxy

Ryeandwater

Cadet
Replacing transom on aluminum boat. What I have read, the marine ply is to be sealed with epoxy. I can't find any where I live, but I did see some Behr two part garage floor epoxy, is this even close to marine stuff?
Probably a dumb question , but thought I would throw it out there.

Carry On,
JJ

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Epoxy

Replacing transom on aluminum boat. What I have read, the marine ply is to be sealed with epoxy. I can't find any where I live, but I did see some Behr two part garage floor epoxy, is this even close to marine stuff?

Carry On,
JJ
Forget the floor epoxy. check with I boats they will have the proper stuff in stock.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

I didn't use the epoxy on my transom. After drilling all the holes, I used 2 coats of oil base primer, 2 coats of oil based enamel and then 3 coats of Helmsman spar urethane. It looks like liquid chocolate and is rock hard. People can't help themselves when they see it and have to rub it with their palms. 1 quart of each with the 4" rollers was half the cost of epoxy resin alone. The epoxy resin costs like 80 a gallon and then still relies on being painted to avoid being destroyed by UV rays.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Carry On,
JJ

This should work well since you spent the big money on marine plywood.

It depends on how much sunlight your wood is exposed to if you have to paint/protect your epoxy. Some tinny transoms are exposed to the sun while others are closed off from the sun.

... and really, anything you put on your transom wood to help preserve it will be much better than nothing.