How can u tell if a transome is rotted

85 omc

Cadet
I have an 85 sunbird with a cobra motor an drive, it leaks around the shift cable but ive been told its not a bellow issue. I did find two transome nut that were loose and tightened them down, but I have heard the transome might be rotten, it dosent fell soft or change sound when you tap it. How do I tell if its gone

Tjdello

Seaman
Re: How can u tell if a transome is rotted

Drill short holes into it in a few places and watch what the shavings look like if there dark and wet and smooshy then theres rot however if it loks like hard dry new wood then fill all holes with epoxy:) Good luck!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Make sure you drill on the inside, not the outside.

85 omc

Cadet

Ok thanks if its bad would it be worth fixin or jus try to find better hull an put my motor an outdrive on it

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Depends...If you like the boat and want to invest the time, effort and $$$$ then when you're done it will be good as new or better and you'll know what you have. If you go buy another used boat, there's no guarantee's that it won't have similar problems.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

I can tell you long stories about what ?I was told? about boats in the past that turned out to be wrong when I found this forum and consulted its experts. The moral of all of them is.. don?t take what you were told for granted and do your own research. Inspecting the bellows is not hard. Just make sure the drive is all the way up for the bellows to be as extended as possible and give it a visual and physical inspection especially between the rings. It could be just as simple as one of them has a small crack. Another test ? beside the core samples ? is to give your outdrive a good firm shake up and down and side to side. A good transom will not flex at all during this process. A shot transom will flex with your moves

85 omc

Cadet

Ok thanks for the advice ill try that ive look at my u jiont bellows an it is a little dry rotted an has some small stress crack between the rings. Is it possible the water is trailin down to make seem like its comein in through the shift cable

85 omc

Cadet

Ok I drilled my holes cant really tell much some water came out of the hole maybe a bad sign but the outdrive doesnt flex when I shake it. The u jiont bellows have some small cracks in it, so is it transome rebuild or bellows job

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If water came out then there's not way to tell how long it's been in there. YOu need to drill more holes at various levels on the transom to determine how far the water intrusion has gotten. If it's only at the bottom couple of inches you could get by for a while but once the wood is wet it will eventually rot and need to be replaced.

85 omc

Cadet

Ok its only at ab a inch an half an the water stops but how do I stop it from comin in

85 omc

Cadet

Srry dont even think its that high maybe about 1 inch at the most how can I keep the water from comin in

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

can you post a picture of the hole you drilled and what depth did you set your drill at?

85 omc

Cadet

Yeah I can but want be until tomarrow evening so I can get my girlfreind to do it because im not very tech savy. If your lookin at the back of the boat one hole about 1/4 in off the floor and second is about 1 to 1 1/2 off the floor and the thrid is about 2 to 2 1/2 from the floor and its dry. By floor I mean bottom of th bilge

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

What color was the wood shavings? Did the water seep out of these holes? Take the outdrive out and see if there are any water in the U-Joint bellow. inspect all rings in all directions carefully with your fingers to see if there is any tear in them. If I were you, I would do everything I can to eliminate the bellows as possible source of the leak before I start worrying about the transom.

85 omc

Cadet

The shavings were like a golden wet wood color and the water seeped out slowy. So it is possible the water could trail down to the shift cable from the u jiont bellows

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

Golden color is good. A wet transom is not a rotted transom. It will rot, one day but it is not rotted now. As I said, I would focus on the bellows for now and see if they solve the problem. You said they have some cracks any way, so maybe it is time to replace em

85 omc

Cadet

Ok thanks ill wrk on that this weekend if I have any more question how can I find u on here

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant

We are always here to help. Post your question and you will get an answer soon enough by me and/or any other member of the forum. If you need to ping me or anyone, use the send private message (PM) function.