pulling a power head.....question for guys that have done it.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I was in the process of rebuilding a ocean pro 115, but have decidede that i needed an extra long shaft( 25") instead of the long shaft. so I bought a midestion and lower unit off the old codger i deal with at the marine store... it still has the blown power head on it. He wants the power head back , because of all the sellable parts on it. I traded him a rebuilt lower unit 20" and $100 for his midsection, TNT,stern bracket assy, cowl and lower unit. so all i have to do after i rebuild my power head( already in process) is drop it onto his "motor"...easy peasy..maybe

the question....will it be a nightmare trying to pop the power head with the driveshaft and lower unit still in place??

or should i drop the lower unit, then pull the power head? i have removed the power head i am in the process of rebuilding after i dropped its lower unit...so thats a known for me... this other way is an unknown.....I know the weight of the LU helps pull the drive shaft out of the crank....

just looking for any advice one way or the nother

thanks

bob

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: pulling a power head.....question for guys that have done it.

I havent done it but ive seen the results of someone who did on a 90hp- it ruined his alignment on his upper bearing in the LU

rothfm

Ensign

It is doable but be cautioned to properly support the Leg and lower unit in a solid fixed position and upright. If you just remove all the P.H. bolts and attempt to lift the whole thing to get it to free up, it will not all hang straight up and down vertically and will exert force in ways you dont want to!!! Thus the previous posters issues.

Clamp the lower section down, and lift the head straight off. It too will attempt to come off and an angle, just coax it up straightly. Should be able to get it off that way.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I havent done it but ive seen the results of someone who did on a 90hp- it ruined his alignment on his upper bearing in the LU
thinking about that, I am wondering how are the forces any different?? pulling down on the LU with a frozen driveshaft in the crank will put the same forces on the bearing..and try to pop it upwards. the more I think about it, Ill just drop the LU first... and Ill install a new water pump while I am at it. I was just wanting to get the guy the Power head back as soon a possible.thanks for the replies bob