side window flocking

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
sooo my old welcraft cruiser needs new (EDIT) flocked rubber in the window channels for the stupid side windows that they should have never put in..... I need to take them apart and clean 25 years of crud out of the drain channels and the (EDIT) rubber is already falling apart so there's no way it'll survive this process.....

This is a problem that MANY folks w cruisers are familiar with .... the drain holes constantly get clogged and the aluminum channels fill up and overflow into the cabin

I will work on pics asap

I gave been searching but haven't found many options yet so if anyone has any good sources I'd love to hear em.
(EDIT) prolly MUCH easier to find now that I'm looking for the right thing :doh:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: side window flocking

well turns out my memory let me down here... just went out and looked and it's flocked rubber w drain holes... still a stupid design tho

window is @7' long w a 1 foot section that opens... abysmal ventilation at best but that leaves 6' of open channel to collect water and dirt with tiny easily plugged holes to keep it from filling the alum channel and overflowing into the cabin....

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need plastic window channel (liner?)

Re: Need plastic window channel (liner?)

Kevin, you could always use a tube of black silicone caulk and wet glaze them in. Run a bead in the bottom track the desired height and let it cure some but not completely to support the glass. Then fill in and tool the joint to look pretty.
My old Wellcraft windows were byutl rubber that was always messy & gummy. Use silicone.

If you look around you may be able to find the "marine glazing " rubber somewheres. You'll need the thickness of the glass, probaly 1/8" and the width & depth of the channel.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Copy THAT... looks like they are not sold with pre cut drains... I plan on drilling a couple of better drains in the corners of the window frames as well...
Gotta decide on a size that will let crud and water out but not invite critters in... no point in this if it gets plugged up by spiders and mud daubers...

UGH stoooopid windows...... maybe I should look into getting new windows cut.. One piece non opening.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Kevin, you could always use a tube of black silicone caulk and wet glaze them in. Run a bead in the bottom track the desired height and let it cure some but not completely to support the glass. Then fill in and tool the joint to look pretty.
My old Wellcraft windows were byutl rubber that was always messy & gummy. Use silicone.

If you look around you may be able to find the "marine glazing " rubber somewheres. You'll need the thickness of the glass, probaly 1/8" and the width & depth of the channel.

We were typing at the same time.... 'great minds and all that'

LOL

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

an 1/8" x 1/4" slot for draining the tracks. Round 1/8th inch holes do not drain that well.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

an 1/8" x 1/4" slot for draining the tracks. Round 1/8th inch holes do not drain that well.

GOOD POINT! .... too much surface tension! ...... I shoulda thought of that but thankfully you got my back there.

I was wondering why oem cut clots instead of drilling since it would be easier.....