Lifting the Johnson

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1959 Johnson super sea horse 50 HP, yes the famous gas hog. I hav never lifted an outboard before, but I have all the equipment to do it from my other "projects". Is the Bail wire at the top of the motor what I use to lift it? And an unrelated electrical question.....the plug connecting outside to inside harness needs replacing (inside one) and all the wiring. Outside to the box is fine. Can that plug be rebuilt? What is the best solution to the problem if I cannot get a replacement??? Help anyone please!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: Lifting the Johnson

I wouldnt lift any motor with bail wire.
You could undo one of the top bolts and thread on some lifting eyes or rig up something under the bolts to lift from.
Cant advise on the plug problem sorry but maybe if you are good with a solder you could rebuild it in a long winded way

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I've lifted a lot of those old 50's with the bail wire. That's the reason OMC put them there. Wish they had something that simple today.

If you can, post a pic of this "bail wire".

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

A buddy and I lifted mine by hand a couple of weeks ago off of the transom of a 1958 Feathercraft Clipper.

It is one heavy motor!

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bail wire is noted in the service manual but it never says this is what you use to lift it. It is located on the top of the motor attached by two pretty large bolts. It is folded down in the photo, and it clips into the retainer when in this position. Thanks for the info. Still can't find a wiring harness...:-( I probably will make a new one from what I have. This is gonna get ugly.:facepalm:

engine picture.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

That "bail wire" is there to lift the motor with. I guess calling it a "wire" is misleading people. The part book calls it a "Starter Housing Bail"

82rude

Rear Admiral

lifted many a 50,s era omc by the bail.thats what its for ,nothing else.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Before you get to deep into it, have you checked the spark or compression on it yet ??

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have not checked spark or compression. It was running pretty good when I got it. Should I still check it to be sure it is ok, or is a running engine good enough?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

It makes sense to check the compression. Expect about 90PSI on each cylinder, but the most important thing is that they are even.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I'd check both the compression and the spark just for piece of mind. The spark should jump a 1/4 " open air gap on a spark tester.

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I suppose you're disappointed that no one commented on the wording of your subject header!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I just caught that. Good one.:laugh:

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not dissapointed any more. I will have to get those tests done by someone. I have no way of doing them myself. But Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You can buy a spark tester at advance auto for around $7.00 and they will probably loan you a compression tester with a deposit.

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Compression checker is only about 30 bucks. Its not very hard at all to do. I know there's a post here somewhere that explains it, but I cant seem to find it at the moment. Maybe someone else has it in their favorites and can give you a link to it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check the top secret files at the begining of this forum.

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll get spark and compression checing stuff. I see the top secret files. TY!!!

My wiring harness is toast too. I've tried to get a replacement, but there are none :-( Can you use a substitute harness with 7 wires, and just rewire everything? Even if the plug doesn't fit the engine, I can seal it with silicone marine caulk. Done. ?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You can rewire that motor real easily. I single DPDT switch and two push buttons, are all you need. You need power, ground, ign killer, choke and solenoid wires. If you have the generator and voltage regulator, you will be able to charge the battery as well. Do you have the external solenoid box for that motor?