Please help me figure out this 24 volt trolling motor

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all

Well The wifey and I purchased a 2005 Larson fish and ski on Friday and have been using it all week to fish but I have not been able to get the dadburn trolling motor to work yet. I should have came to the internet sooner to learn how these systems actually work but instead I have went over every inch of wiring looking for shorts, checking fuses, replacing connectors that looked a little tired etc. The older gentlemen that we bought the boat from barely used the boat and had it winterized when I picked it up from him on Friday so all of the battery cables were unplugged. I don't think the trolling motor has ever even been used from the looks of it.

So here is my issue: This is a 24 volt only system. It has a 3 prong outlet in the front of the boat. There is a switch that allows you to check the volts of each battery. When I check battery one I get nothing, when I check battery two I get 12volts. I have tried everything and cannot get a 12 volt reading on battery one, including replacing battery one with a known good battery.

I have 4 wires going from the front control panel to the back two batteries - A red, orange, and two black ones. From my understanding, I need a jumper cable that goes from the positive of battery one to the negative of battery two, and from there I am lost. But this is a factory setup so I am unsure how all of this jumpering stuff is supposed to work out unless the guy accidently left out something when he sold me the boat. I mean somehow it seems these 4 wires should be able to get the 24 volts to the front of the boat and to the 3 prong outlet. (or maybe I still use these 4 wires but am missing a jumper wire between the positive and negative) Could someone maybe make this guy here a little smarter? In the mean time, I'm going to go start searching through this forum for the info I need. I just figured with the daylight fading, and the wifey and I wanting to be out on the lake tomorrow morning, I better at least post here for help while I am searching through archives to help broaden my chances of a resolution this evening.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Please help me figure out this 24 volt trolling motor

Never mind, I came across one of Silvertips schematics and I now have my trolling motor working. Thanks Silvertip for your valuable service to this forum!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please help me figure out this 24 volt trolling motor

Happy to have helped. Boat safely.