1969 4hp lower unit removal problems

shootthebest

Recruit
Hi,
I removed the four lower bolts but the drive shaft will not come loose. I have use a rubber hammer tapping the lower unit down. Should I hit it harder?
It has dropped approx. 1/8 in. but that's it. Any other suggestions?
model number is 4r69b

Rick.

Captain
Re: 1969 4hp lower unit removal problems

You have done the right thing so far. Best thing now is to stand it on it's head and spray lots of penetrating oil down the drive shaft. It must be stuck to the power head. Let it sit and re-try and re-oil every 24 hrs. Hopefully that will work but there are some drastic measures you can try later. Best of luck. Rick.

james__12345

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does the motor have a shift lever? I looked over a parts guide for that model, but I don't see any mention of it.

lindy46

Captain

Direct drive - no shift. Do what Rick says. Driveshaft is probably rusted to the crank due to someone not replacing the O-ring at the top of the driveshaft. Water creeps up into the crank, and it starts rusting.

shootthebest

Recruit

Well,
I let it sit upside down for over two days after spraying pb blaster. I tapped on the rear with rubber hammer again. I broke off the outer portion of lower unit--
So I'm really pissed off. I have remove several other units but they just drop out. It seems that something is holding the shaft.
If I ever get it off, I need a replacement for the lower unit now

Rick.

Captain

That really sucks. Send a picture of what broke. If it's your cavitation plate I wouldn't be all that concerned on a 4HP. Juat wont look as nice. Try prying the joint, carefully. You may end up breaking the top of the water pump as that might be the weakest point. If that happens you can get way more aggressive with the shaft exposed. Rick.

shootthebest

Recruit

That really sucks. Send a picture of what broke. If it's your cavitation plate I wouldn't be all that concerned on a 4HP. Juat wont look as nice. Try prying the joint, carefully. You may end up breaking the top of the water pump as that might be the weakest point. If that happens you can get way more aggressive with the shaft exposed. Rick.
After looking at the broke part---It looks like I can run it without it
I sprayed the shaft again. I'm going to wait a few more days. Is there any other way to expose the shaft ie remove the prop shaft?

nwcove

Admiral

you need to spray ALOT of penetrant ! as %99 of it wont get to where it needs to be.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try mixing up some Acetone and ATF 50/50. Then hang the the mtr upside with a rope from the L/U and let the weight of th P/H pull on it. Every so often give the P/H a few raps with your hands. Have something to catch the P/H if it does drop off. Use plenty of the mix and have a lot of patience.

shootthebest

Recruit

Try mixing up some Acetone and ATF 50/50. Then hang the the mtr upside with a rope from the L/U and let the weight of th P/H pull on it. Every so often give the P/H a few raps with your hands. Have something to catch the P/H if it does drop off. Use plenty of the mix and have a lot of patience.

Just a update
It's still hanging.
Any other suggestions?

Rick.

Captain

I had forgotten all about your motor! It's been hanging longer than most beef. At some point, your call not mine, I would get some pry tools out and have at it. You need to be very careful not to break things and try to balance the energy so that it's not loaded to one side but as straight a pull/force as possible in a straight down direction. You may end up pulling the shaft out of the water pump housing which will mean a replacement housing will be necessary. However, if that happens you can really get a good purchase on the drive shaft to free it from the engine. Keep your wits about you and more than ever, Best of luck. Rick.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Rap it a little harder with your hands.

nwcove

Admiral

Just a update
It's still hanging.
Any other suggestions?

if it were me, assuming the motor runs but doesnt pump water, i would bolt the lu back up....hope that some of the penetrating fluid made it to the splines, then put it in a barrel of water and run it for just a FEW seconds at half throttle. maybe putting some torsional stress on the ds, combined with penetrating oil will loosen things up. jmo

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Along the same lines, some guys have loosely bolted the unit to the mid, just enough to allow it to wobble a bit. Then start the motor and run it for less than a minute to allow it to loosen the shaft in the crank splines. Never done it myself, but I've heard of others having success with it...

Rick.

Captain

All good ideas. Let us know what worked. Rick.