mercruiser alpha 1

perling

Recruit
Replaced lower unit put in water and upper unit filling up with water,bellows dry

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: mercruiser alpha 1

Are you sure you got that little O-Ring for the oil passage installed correctly?

perling

Recruit

I didn't do the work, replaced oil pump in engine and put in water pump in lower unit,put in water and was told upper part of outdrive was taking water on.Said the bellows were dry,they are looking at gaskets that may be bad.outdrive goes in gear and seems everything is good their except water in upper unit.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

put in water pump in lower unit,put in water and was told upper part of outdrive was taking water on.Said the bellows were dry,they are looking at gaskets that may be bad.

this is a local shop doing the repairs??

if so, find a new shop fast - they should be pressure testing the drive before they even fill it with lube, not lake testing it then checking for leaks/milky lube then guessing which seals are bad

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

and was told upper part of outdrive was taking water on

Hmmm...and just how were they able to deduce that? If it's in the upper, its in the lower, too. I would only assume they pulled the drive off to check the status of the bellows (otherwise how do they know?) ? This sounds like a major storm brewing. I'm staying tuned! Please provide more info, data, symptoms.

I guess at this point I need to ask.... are you asking for help, or just telling us what you've got?