An annoying handling problem

BobGoodwin

Recruit
(sorry, I wasn't sure what forum to put this in)

Last year I sold my old pontoon and bought an 20' 07 Bentley pontoon with an 06 50hp Merc.

I have a terrible time trying to get it to go straight. It doesn't pull one way or the other but rather tends to dart with the slightest turn of the wheel so I am constently fighting it at full throttle.

I checked and there is little to no slop in the cable. I thought perhaps it may be torque trim tab but it is rotated about 20 degrees to the starboard (or clockwise looking up at it) and that seems about right.

Any ideas as to what else it may be?
Thanks for any input you can give.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: An annoying handling problem

Ahoy, Bob.

Welcome to iboats. :welcome:

It may be the 'toon causing the wandering; sort of like chine walking.

BobGoodwin

Recruit

Thanks for the input JB but I wouldn't think that would be the case since top speed is less than 20 mph?

That does make me think a little though... The well/transom is pretty large and sits about 4" under the waterline while not underpower. Actually so large that I have a cavitation problem fairly often even with the motor trimmed all the way down (and the engine is mounted as low as possible too).

I wonder if water flowing over it may be causing the problem? And now that makes me wonder if a hydrofoil might not fix both problems? (Sorry... now I am thinking out loud) :)

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I suspect what you are getting is intermittent ventilation, not cavitation, Bob. That would surely make the 'toon squirrelly. Were I thee I would modify that well so it does not interfere with water flow to the prop.