Trying to figure out the best prop for my 40hp Merc / 13ft Whaler

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1992 40hp merc 4cyl on a 13ft whaler , I'm currently running the prop that was out it from the factory (12P). The boat does not have a tach so I'm just posting to see if someone else has a similar setup and what pitch prop you are using. I'm looking to get a better hole shot and more top end. What would yall think about using a 14P or a 15P? Also is it worth running a SS prop on a 40hp motor? I mostly run the boat in back bays/flats.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trying to figure out the best prop for my 40hp Merc / 13ft Whaler

Its highly unlikely anyone will have a match.If you get us the speed with the 12 it may give us a ball park rpm.
A Tinytach will work on almost any motor land or sea, hand held or installed.
Be sure you specify for an outboard.

Blake0912

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the reply, I will get the top speed next time I have it in the water. Also ill look into getting a tach.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

A similar (but totally unrelated) question might be: "My girlfriend likes red licorice. Do you think she will have boy children?"

You guffaw at the idea that we could answer the question, based on the information given, and yet hope that we can answer your question, without the info needed. Oh, and the answer is "No, your girlfriend will run off with a stock-broker, and live in Manhattan."