wiring a battery switch...

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice
I've done this a number of times but I just can't remember how it's done. I have a standard 2 battery switch with 1 battery for starting and the other for all the toys (FF, GPS, stereo, etc). In addition I have 2 red smaller wires (medium size) that run toward the bow and supply current to the "toys". If I hook them onto the switch post meant for the battery used for "toys" located on the back side of the switch, how do I get current to the toys (accessories) when running on the engine battery? Or where should I attach these wires?
I've searched the internet and no one addresses this situation. Please help me out.

Thank you, Bob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: wiring a battery switch...

You have to hook all outgoing circuits to the common terminal. If you hook them to the battery terminal they are no longer switched.

1-2-Both.jpg

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice

Don, so what you are saying is to put these 2 wires on the "both" post in the switch? But what if I am only running on #1 battery, how will they get the current to carry to the accessories? Thanks, Bob

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is no "Both" terminal, there is Battery 1, battery 2, and common.

All your engine, toys, everything comes off the common (or at least they should with a 4 position switch).
You have to select which battery you are using for things.
There is no way with a standard 1-2-Both-Off switch you can isolate each system to a separate battery.

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/reference/all-switches.pdf

hippie2

Seaman Apprentice

ok, I understand it now. Thank you for your help, Bob