Transom Rust and Bend

mturnerua

Cadet
I have a '88 Sweetwater with a 88hp Johnson that I recently purchased and the bottom of the transom has rusted. It didn't look like a problem until I pulled it out of the water to clean it and the weight of the engine slightly bent the transom in. The picture is not the best but maybe you can see what I'm talking about. I did make a brace from the rear of the deck to the lower motor bolts that will keep it from going any further. Has any one see this before and what would your suggestions be? Leave it until it gets worse? Replace the pod? Have support plates welded in? Thanks

Motor.jpg

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom Rust and Bend

What is the hp rating on the capacity plate? i assume that since it's rusted it is a galvanized transom.

On my 92 the capacity plate was rating for a 90 and the transom on it with the 75 was cracked and looked to be way to small of a gauge aluminum....not sure if someone changed something.

But long story short i had a local metal shop completely resupport the transom...came out awesome but was like $700

mturnerua

Cadet

It doesn't have a capacity plate but being that its the original motor I assume it was rated for 90hp.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

Based on the inforamtion here on iboats
Boat Manufacturers Ratings

The highest motor rating Godfrey had on a Sweetwater pontoon in 1988 was 75hp for the 24ft. Others were less.

IMO, you need to replace the pod.