2003 Ford explorer rear grinding noise

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman
Hi all, I have received some great information from this site helping me to fix up my boat and thought i would give you all a try since were all pretty much DIY's. I have a 2003 ford explorer v8 4wd, with about 130,000 miles. For the past few months it has made a low grinding noise coming from the rear axle area. I hear it ONLY at speeds up to 10-15 mph, for only a second and then it stops...and sometimes it doesnt make the noise at all. i replaced the rear breaks this past weekend, and inspected the rotors for damage but didnt find anything. i also changed the rear diff oil (stinky stuff) with the added friction modifier, and saw normal wear and tear "metal dust" on the fill plug magnet. Old oil was dirty but nothing out of the ordinary. I still hear/ feel it grinding. after researching it i see that its pretty common for these explorers but i cant find anything about how to fix it. I dont think it has anything to do with wheel bearings as i would hear that for sure at higher speeds which i dont. If anyone has experienced anything like this any help will be greatly appreciated!

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: 2003 Ford explorer rear grinding noise

Did you check the parking brake shoes (inside the rear of the rotor)

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

No, if the bearings are wearing, you might not hear it at all speeds or make it louder at higher speeds. I have owned three explorers, at '92, '95 and currently at 2003. The '95 had the exact same noise you are describing at 10-15 mph and I did all of the work that was required to maintain it, still ended up loosing a bearing, it went from no vibration, no loose feeling to breaking in one fail swoop. Check, or have those rear bearings checked out, they don't show much sign when getting ready to fail, and they are a sealed unit. In addition, make sure and check all of the components on the rear axle, the 03 has a fully independent rear suspension and components can fail in a very short time. Another thing to check these are famous for, the ring gears can grind pretty good, it indicates a small amount of wear, which won't cause a complete failure, but is irritating to listen to.

Another thing, do you tow with it, and if so, how much weight, they are rated for a certain amount, but even weights less than the rating can cause wear situations that cause various sounds, I think they are highly over rated by the manufacture on what they will safely tow. I would check all of the connection points on the rotating mass of the rear axles and make sure there is no significant wear in those components. Remember you have CV joints in that rear axle, just like front wheel drive cars and they need to be service, rebuilt or replaced at much shorter intervals than a straight rear axle vehicle.

Here is a listing for rebuilt axles on the '03 Explorer:

Rear Left and Right 2002 2008 Ford Lincoln and Mercury CV Drive Axle Shafts | eBay

Here is a link to a listing for a complete kit to replace both axles as well as wheel bearing and hubs:

2 Rear 02 08 Ford Lincoln Mercury CV Axle Shaft 2 Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies | eBay

The only reason I posted the links, it shows how inexpensive it is to replace those components and have the piece of mind, it is not difficult to replace them, it takes a couple of hours. But with a grinding noise at any speed, you can be assured there is something in the rotating mass that is wearing and needs to be repaired or replaced.

Also, make sure and check the E brakes to make sure they are not dragging, common problem on them.

Another thing that I had happen to me, the rear wheel anti lock braking sensor loosened up and slipped a bit and was dragging on the ring gear, it only created a noise at slow speeds and at high speeds the pressure in the rear end held it away from the ring gear and no noise, if it happens, your ABS light may come on at low speeds and go off at higher speeds, I know, sounds odd, but it happened to me.

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman

I did not check the parking breaks, however there was a clicking noise a while back but has since stopped. I read that sometimes the parking breaks crack and cause the clicking noise. but since it hasnt done that in a while i didnt check it out. Would that cause the grinding? i may try to do that this evening, and try to pick up some bearings for this weekend if that doesnt fix the issue. I do pull my boat with it but its only a 15' fiberglass skeeter and total it only weighs about 1000 lbs trailer & motor included.

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman

Was it a wheel or axle bearing that went bad in your 95.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I'd also have a look at the driveshaft u-joint. They click when they start to fail and grind/slap when they dry up. Usually you'll also feel a vibration when they go bad. Don't just shake it, undo it and make sure it moves smoothly.

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same issue with my 2003 v6 2wd. It was the wheel bearings. I have changed all of them.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did not check the parking breaks, however there was a clicking noise a while back but has since stopped. I read that sometimes the parking breaks crack and cause the clicking noise. but since it hasnt done that in a while i didnt check it out. Would that cause the grinding? i may try to do that this evening, and try to pick up some bearings for this weekend if that doesnt fix the issue. I do pull my boat with it but its only a 15' fiberglass skeeter and total it only weighs about 1000 lbs trailer & motor included.

The PB is inside the rotor hat. How did you change the rear pads and not pull the rotors?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

The PB is inside the rotor hat. How did you change the rear pads and not pull the rotors?

It is really quite easy to pull the caliper without pulling the rotor. Once you pull the caliper, you compress it, slide new pads in, place back over the rotor and secure it and drive away. Remember the rear parking brake, uses shoes, the rear brakes use pads.

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman

finally got a chance to jack it up yesterday....found that my parking brakes are completely gone and what remains of them had been stuck in between the parking brake and the rotor causing it to grind until the piece fell out. may still be too early to tell but its sounding good so far!