1975 merc 9.8hp will not run till gas pouring out of carb HELP !!!!

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1975 merc 9.8 ser # 4084899 -- i have been through the carb two to three times now new diaphram kit in f-pump as well -- set and reset float many times as well -- motor will not run unless fuel is pouring out mouth of carb with full choke on - push choke in starves and dies -- crank seal under flywheel is good -- could a lower crank seal cause this problem ? i am starting to lose it on this motor please any help would be great thanks again I BOAT MEMBERS

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1975 merc 9.8hp will not run till gas pouring out of carb HELP !!!!

That sounds like a reed valve, it's possable to check 4 of the 8 with a flashlite and mirror thru the front cover with the carb removed. First check for vacuum at the carb with your thumb to make sure the engine is sucking air and fuel properly.

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1975 merc 9.8hp will not run till gas pouring out of carb HELP !!!!

That sounds like a reed valve, it's possable to check 4 of the 8 with a flashlite and mirror thru the front cover with the carb removed. First check for vacuum at the carb with your thumb to make sure the engine is sucking air and fuel properly.

Not to sound too stupid but i have looked at every parts diagram in here unable to locate reed valve assy :blue:

actually i did find it in crankshaft not awake yet thank you i will look at it