thanks to all, my 86 classic 45 sings!

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
finally got my merc running great . thanks to all here. i hit 39 mph in the chop today and she idles down to 1.6. i am running a little too much prop (17 pitch) so i put a fin on the motor and it really helped. i could not get the boat on plane fast, now with the fins it jumps, and i can run more trim.
here she is
first start after a few months
1986 bayliner mercury 45 hp - YouTube
at idle
1986 bayliner classic 45 idle - YouTube
dino

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: thanks to all, my 86 classic 45 sings!

Nice collection. How about some pics? How is it that an OMC lover is ranting about getting his Merc running? Grin

Mark

dkonrai

Nice collection. How about some pics? How is it that an OMC lover is ranting about getting his Merc running? Grin

Mark

hahaha, omc for the smaller motors, however my merc is a 4 cylinder so she does run smooth. and idles nicely.
P1070081_zps41f8f738.jpg
P1070080_zps80cbfe0b.jpg
P1070079_zpsfd12e30b.jpg

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Good looking engine. Looks like she's new. I like to keep my equipment out of the sun. I always liked the smoothness of the 4 cylinders. I had a 4 cyl Wizard (store brand) back when I was in high school. It was made to the Mark 30 spec but limited to 25 hp and different paint and cowl. I worked at a filling station for 50 cents an hour to earn the $495 to buy it from a Western Auto store.

Mark

dkonrai

Good looking engine. Looks like she's new. I like to keep my equipment out of the sun. I always liked the smoothness of the 4 cylinders. I had a 4 cyl Wizard (store brand) back when I was in high school. It was made to the Mark 30 spec but limited to 25 hp and different paint and cowl. I worked at a filling station for 50 cents an hour to earn the $495 to buy it from a Western Auto store.

Mark

mark,
that was alot of money then. its like 5000 at least by todays standards.

i bought the motor off cl. got it for 200 with controls. had no spark, i didnt have a battery to test it. i took a huge gamble. lower unit was stuck really bad to the power head. rusted ds to the ph. also had no spark. i bought it from the original owner who for some reason left it in a garage for many years.

with some help here, i figured out the stupid shifter to reinstall the lower. omc is so easy.... installed a used cdi switchbox, stator and trigger. wow ! talk about some fire. i barely click the key and she purrs. hate to admit this, but with out any doubt this is one of the smoothest, powerful motors i have ever owned. forget about the stupid way to pull the carbs i.e. remover starter, electronics, wiring, hood, mounts, now you can get to the carbs. this motor is amazing.

from what i can see this motor did not see alot of water time. and i dont think it ever saw salt water ever. so the gamble turned out to be a sweet running motor. i have 130 in all four holes. it makes my little bayliner fly.

that force/chrysler was half the motor but almost the same weight.

dino