1979 johnson 55 hp

ddwdt

Recruit
Hey guys..or gals ?... could anyone give me advice on a boat motor?.. been looking for a boat and found one I like but it has an old motor on it, kinda scarey ....it a 79 55 hp Johnson not oil injected ...was just wondering if anyone had any experience with one ?....the guy that owns the boat says it runs great but at 35 years old I'm thinking it can;t have much life left in it. have no idea what it would cost to have to rebuild it...any info at all appreciated ..Thanks !

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1979 johnson 55 hp

Do a compression test. you will find out how to do it by searching this site.
Taking it for a run is the best test.
I mix the oil on mine into the fuel. I remove the oil injection pumps as a they are not 100% reliable and i cant row faster than the wind and tide if they stop working when im out.

It can be a perfectly good motor, not that much has changed in design since the late 1970s

ddwdt

Recruit

Do a compression test. you will find out how to do it by searching this site.
Taking it for a run is the best test.
I mix the oil on mine into the fuel. I remove the oil injection pumps as a they are not 100% reliable and i cant row faster than the wind and tide if they stop working when im out.

It can be a perfectly good motor, not that much has changed in design since the late 1970s

Thanks, bosunsmate................any idea what the compression would be tobe considered ok ?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Anything 100psi or more id say is ok, even a bit below. But no big difference between cylinders 12% or so

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Don't discount those older engines. Some of them work and run better then the newer versions. And while it is 35 years old they still run strong if you take care of them... SOme of the newer engines have started using lots of plastic parts and we all know how well they last... JMHO! :)