Evinrude Simplex Control Box Knobs

bassin'frog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got an older (late 70's/early 80's) Simplex control box. It has throttle control and shift control. There are 2 knobs on it that I do not know how they function. One knob is on the bow side of the box and is labeled "Idle/Stop". The other is on top of the box. I can only make out "Throttle" on the top of the knob. Any chance someone can tell me what these are for and how they work? Thanks in advance for the assist.

Bob

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude Simplex Control Box Knobs

I've got an older (late 70's/early 80's) Simplex control box. It has throttle control and shift control. There are 2 knobs on it that I do not know how they function. One knob is on the bow side of the box and is labeled "Idle/Stop". The other is on top of the box. I can only make out "Throttle" on the top of the knob. Any chance someone can tell me what these are for and how they work? Thanks in advance for the assist.

Bob

If you could snap a few pictures a post them, we could give an answer with a little info...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The one in front is an idle stop to keep the throttle from going so low it stalls the motor . The one on top is a throttle friction adjustment.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The idle stop is only effective if the idle stop setting on the motor agrees with the one on the control. But not all motors have an idle stop knob on the motor, thus the reason for one on the control.