350 GM stall at low rpm

igsavel

Cadet
I plan to buy old boat.
It has V8 GM 350 motor (about 3000h on it) and OMC 800 outdrive (1979). Motor clean, no oil under...
Start and run perfectly.
Everything was just fine during the test drive on the water.
But after 20 minutes run on moderate and high rpm I decreased speed and motor was stalled and even don't want to be started (starter work, no ignition).
Owner (he is mechanic) said that carburetor put too much gas to cylinders. Removed spark plugs, clean them and motor was started.
Funny thing, that it is repeatedly happened in next 20 minutes.
Owner said that it is just "spring problems": some cloudiness in carburetor collected during long winter. He promise to easily clean up carb and it will never happened in future.

I decide not to make decision now and going to visit him in a week because I am not sure that such motor behavior is not a symptom of serious engine problem.
What do you think? What to do to check it? I have no chance for another test drive.

southkogs

Staff member
Re: 350 GM stall at low rpm

Find ya' a Mercruiser or Volvo ... do your best to get away from the OMC. You're starting out on a bad foot with engine problems that are not "spring" problems, and you'd be going down the road with a drive that's been obsolete for 30 years.

Bondo

Staff member

I plan to buy old boat.
It has V8 GM 350 motor (about 3000h on it) and OMC 800 outdrive (1979). Motor clean, no oil under...
Start and run perfectly.
Everything was just fine during the test drive on the water.
But after 20 minutes run on moderate and high rpm I decreased speed and motor was stalled and even don't want to be started (starter work, no ignition).
Owner (he is mechanic) said that carburetor put too much gas to cylinders. Removed spark plugs, clean them and motor was started.
Funny thing, that it is repeatedly happened in next 20 minutes.
Owner said that it is just "spring problems": some cloudiness in carburetor collected during long winter. He promise to easily clean up carb and it will never happened in future.

I decide not to make decision now and going to visit him in a week because I am not sure that such motor behavior is not a symptom of serious engine problem.
What do you think? What to do to check it? I have no chance for another test drive.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Don't buy That boat.....

You'll be settin' yerself up for future Pain....

floattest

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I own a boat like that. I love it. But if you want to go boating, if you want to spend time on the water, then listen to these guys with thousands of post on this site. They know what they are talking about. Keep looking for your vessel.

igsavel

Cadet

OK thanks
Most probably I will not buy this one, but it's a pity. I like the boat...
What Captains say about 170 hp volvo inboard out board (1973?)?

southkogs

Staff member

I don't know Volvo's very well, the other guys can speak to that. The one big advantage to Volvo is they are still in business. There's support for that drive system from the manufacturer, and I would think parts are more readily available.

That said, bear in mind that you're looking at a 40 year old boat ... unless she was kept as a museum piece, she's gonna' be in constant competition for your attention ;) Mine isn't too bad, but I do have a couple things pop up each year that keeps her in the garage more than out on the lake.

YMMV

Maclin

Admiral

My opinion, If that is the Volvo inline 6 then be ready for NO parts available or very very expensive if you can find them. I think the Volvo ID is AQ170, has 3 carbs. Good engines but no support now. If that is the age of boat you are looking at then find a MerCruiser, much more support regarding parts, upgradability and knowledge for them. Or rethink and look at Outboards, even then watch the brand.