Metal Canopy replacement

THC1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 Lowe 24' barge with the fixed metal canopy on it. It does fold down for transportation but we are stuck with it on the water. I am restoring the boat and wanted to ask if anyone on here has thrown out their old metal canopy and replaced it with a folding bimini top. The metal one puts a huge amount of stress on the side rails and both of my rail braces have already cracked. I can't find any like them so I purchased new generic ones that are waaaay shorter.

Anybody have any opinions or reviews for a replacement canopy for a 24' boat?

THC1

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Metal Canopy replacement

I see that this site sells pontoon bimini tops.

I have TWO, which give me complete coverage, and the camper sides attach to the biminis.

Side view short back sm.jpg

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

I made that switch on my 24 ft (no longer have it) There is abridge over the local lake that requires you to lower the top, so a hard top was not useable.

I put my hard top in the local for slae paper and it was gone in 3 days.

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just took mine off a week or two ago. Mixed thoughts because we liked the structure but make it look old and nothing to do with it on the lake. Have not bought a soft top yet but that's next. My trouble is I have doors on the sides close to the rear and the folding top gets in the way but I'm going to figure it out. Looks much better with it off. I'm looking at the 1 1/4 inch square tubing and 10 feet long if I can find one like that.

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

The softop on my fisher (it also has a gate near the rear) is supported in the back by vertical rods which attach just in front of the gate.

Whe I don't want the shade I can fold it back but leave it propped up on the rear supports.

THC1

Seaman Apprentice

WOW...What do you think the top would be worth? I was thinking it was scrap value only??

belairbrian

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW...What do you think the top would be worth? I was thinking it was scrap value only??

I got $150 for mine. What's the going rate for a pound of aluminum?

THC1

Seaman Apprentice

Looks like it's hovering in the .80 cent range. Man, that top "feels" like it weights a hundred pounds.

crb478

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I used to have a Harris Flote Bote that had a hard top. It really caught the wind, especially when docking in a breeze. I now have a Crestliner pontoon with a Bimini top and I like it much better. It catches much less wind, can be put down easily, can be stored in the arch position using prop poles, and allows sun or shade. The hard top was good for storage and rain protection, but not much else in my opinion.