2.3 OMC on a 17.5 bayliner capri. Will i want more power?

andrewbabich

Petty Officer 3rd Class
2.3 OMC on a 17.5 bayliner capri. Will i want more power?

I'm looking to upgrade from my 1972 tri hull 15 ft with 50 hp johnson boat to just a little more power and size boat.

I love the fuel economy of my 50 hp johnson, but wakeboarding on it with people in the boat seems to be losing the fun factor and a bit of its power. Think the boat may be finaly showing its age after 41 years not really sure... but question is:

2.3 OMC on a 17.5 bayliner capri. Will i want more power? This is a restored rebuilt motor so I'm expecting it to be performing similary to new (1987).

Is this enough engine to wakeboard and have a good time on, will I be wishing I had a 3.0 or larger? Does the 2.3 save you any fuel? Was it a good motor? My dad has a 2007 bayliner that I like with a 3.0 merc thats nice enough.

I like to get by with the smallest motor possible for ease of towing and fuel economy. I drive a subaru wagon for a similar reason... (thats the tow car too)

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 2.3 OMC on a 17.5 bayliner capri. Will i want more power?

Was it a good motor?
one of the worst ideas in boating, in my opinion. It has to rev to 5400 rpm to make it's rated 128HP, which means it requires a uniquely geared Cobra outdrive for which most hard parts do not exist anymore, and it is noisy at that speed.
It has several obsolete parts (some of which are wear items), so if this is a boat you are considering buying, move on.

What's the towing capacity of your Subaru wagon?

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2.3 OMC on a 17.5 bayliner capri. Will i want more power?

So far I had a good expirience with my 1989 Bayliner Capri. Motor was rebuilt by a previous owner few years back and has a good compression. It does have enough power to pull a tube and have 3 - 4 adults on board. With the right 4 blade prop you will get enough power to pull a skier... I agree that 5400rpm feel too much, but I rarely push it that fast, as with 4500 rpm you cruising at 35mph and you do not need to go faster while towing a tube... As for fuel economy it was great 10 - 15L per hour towing tube, I think it is really good. If you considering buying this boat you MUST check transom and stringers, if it has an original transom it is 99% chance rotten inside (just replaced mine, costs $1350). Any soft spots in the floor mean it needs alot of work.