1958 10 hp Johnson Seahorse throttle pin

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice
I'm heading over to look at a 1958 10 hp Johnson Seahorse later this afternoon. It was listed at $200 with a tank, but he told me last night the throttle pin fell out and he's dropped it to $120, with a tank. Here's a photo of where it goes:

Pin.JPG

Any ideas for a fix? I can't seem to find anything online for this part. Will the pin from my 1956 7.5 hp Evinrude work? How do I remove/replace it?
Thanks,
Pat

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1958 10 hp Johnson Seahorse throttle pin

those pins are still available from the dealer for ~ $6...be sure to check the lower unit for water...gears, dogs, bushings,etc. are pricey...might as well check compression too so to have an idea what you're getting into

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

bolt (Small).jpg might have used my DRILL to make this bolt fit, don't remember, but it took care of the slop.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Pat if you get it send me a pm and Ill mail you a proper pin.

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies. The meeting didn't work for today, but I'm heading over tomorrow to take a look. Chris, I'll definitely take you up on your offer if I pick it up. Thanks!

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice

Here are some more photos, let me know if you see any obvious issues. I realize the lower unit has been replaced :)

IMG_3597.JPGIMG_3598.JPGIMG_3599.JPG

64osby

Admiral

That has the lower unit extension, will the long shaft fit your boat?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I would avoid the bolt fix as it will chew up the softer aluminum of the gear part. The correct part is easily and cheaply had so fix it right.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Pat. Cool little motor you've got there. I used to have a '61 10hp myself. While you can certainly order the new part from marineengine.com, it costs more to ship it than to buy it :/ I had the same/similar issue on my 20hp and came up with the fix in the pics below. I bacially just used a stainless steel bolt and threaded it into the space the old plastic pin should be. I also replace the old plastic idle adjust screw with a new 1/4" x 20 x 2" stainless steel bolt as well. Here's a pic that may help.

0519121237-01.jpg

Johnson

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice

I picked the motor up today. No plugs and the shift lever was broken, so I got it down to $100. I got it started for about 15 seconds when I got home, but with the pin missing it's pretty tough to figure out where the gears should be.

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice

That looks to me like the bolt is coming from inside and is held by a lock nut. Is that correct? How did you manage that?

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice

That looks doable. What's the bolt threaded into? It looks like the inside of where the pin goes is plastic, but it's hard to tell. It's definitely not threaded, though.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Scott above. Youll damage the aluminum gear over time. Ill send you the part for free if you promise not to ram a bolt in there! Just PM you address.

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice

lol. Done. How does the part stay in there?

kfa4303

Banned

Hi Pat. Cool little motor you've got there. I used to have a '61 10hp myself. While you can certainly order the new part from marineengine.com, it costs more to ship it than to buy it :/ I had the same/similar issue on my 20hp and came up with the fix in the pics below. I bacially just used a stainless steel bolt and threaded it into the space the old plastic pin should be. I also replace the old plastic idle adjust screw with a new 1/4" x 20 x 2" stainless steel bolt as well. Here's a pic that may help.

View attachment 191725

Johnson

The upper, smaller ss bolt is threaded into the old plastic base/tab thingy until it just comes out the backside, so it never actually makes contact with the aluminum around it. The longer idle adjust bolt is 1/4" x 20 x 2"-3" with a small nyloc nut on the end to prevent the screw from backing out. You should be able to remove the old, spring loaded, plastic idle set screw which usually gets damaged over time and simply thread in the new bolt. Best of all you can dial the idle in perfectly, snug the nyloc down a bit and forget about it. The new parts are worth it if you're doing a full rest, or ordering other bits and pieces, but they usually cost more to ship than buy.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The bolt will move against the gear and wear into it, making the linkage sloppy. That nylon pin is there as a sacrificial part to allow the lower unit/powerhead assembly to move about a bit within the motion of the shock mounts. Over time that pin wears down and in some cases will shear.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Alright I pulled out a parts motor, pulled the pin and put it in an envelolpe for ya. Will mail in the morning.

Disconnect the bracket at the top of the throttle tower, 2 screws, then lift up on the tower, slide the pin in, then drop it back down. Be sure to apply some grease first. Clean up the old grease on the pin, gears, etc...then regrease. Also grease around the throttle tower where it passes through that bracket you took apart.

In fact, every year I like to disconnect all metal to metal connections that move, clean old grease and re grease. Makes for a smooth ride. 50 year old baked on grease does not work all that well anymore.

PatBlake

Seaman Apprentice

Doesn't the pin just slide in through the slot in the lower gear? Or is it installed from the rear? Do you have a photo of what it should look like once it's in?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yes it slides in, but you cannot slide it in without first lifting up on the tower. It locks in to keep from sliding out. You can slide it in from front or back, no difference.

kfa4303

Banned

The bolt will move against the gear and wear into it, making the linkage sloppy. That nylon pin is there as a sacrificial part to allow the lower unit/powerhead assembly to move about a bit within the motion of the shock mounts. Over time that pin wears down and in some cases will shear.

Nah