Floor Rotten

W.Hailey

Recruit
Ok new to this, last year my wife bought me a 1973 Thunderbird Boat. Went out this year and found the floor was soft in several places, have cut out the old plywood and fiberglass what is the best way to replace this? It appears that it was stored outside with nocover prior to me getting it, the plywood was very rotten in places. But there does not seem to be any strutural damage to the boat. Would like to fix, and restore it back to original if possible.

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Floor Rotten

The first step toward recovery is to admit you have a problem :)

The second through 12th steps involve reading several restoration threads, reading about other iBoater's techniques, lessons learned, the pros and cons of various materials, etc.

Actually, the second step is to create your own restoration thread. Congratulations and welcome! You've landed on the most supportive forum for boat hobbyists and pros alike.

The next thing you should do is snap some pictures and post them here. It helps the rest of us see what you see, and we're a very visual bunch. Pictures are like flypaper for helpful folks too. The more pics, the more helpers will show up to help.

Good luck with your resto!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I second the picture options as well... Aways good to see what your are dealing with for better suggestions and ideas...

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

The first step toward recovery is to admit you have a problem

The second step is actually to admit the problem is likely bigger than you think and accept it. Very few with soft floors stop there...sorry.

Then look at all the other resto threads.

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

For starters if your like me (naive) in the begining you might be in for a suprise once you dig in to your project! If it sat out uncovered you can almost be sure theres more damage/soft/rotted wood thats unseen. Just a heads up so theres no suprises! And I agree with the others, pic's pic's pic's are the best way for them to asess what you have going on.

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm glad that I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel... I started my resto last August... just now getting to the finishing steps. I can almost guarantee, most likely with support of others in this community, that your boat has more problems than just a few soft spots in the deck. A problem like this always leads to deeper problems such as water logged foam, rotted stringers, etc.. At least in this scenario, you have your wife's support since she bought it for you!
If you are a big DIY'er, than this project is for you. But if you just have a fire under you to have a boat for the summer, scratch this idea and find a new boat. This project can kill your morale very quickly, but never as fast as it will eat away at your bank account.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

DITTO to All of the above^^^^...
Time, determination, sweat, a little blood and money will make it better than new...tons of sweat equity will get you a better than new boat for much less money than a brand new one...
Big factor is also that the engine/drive be in top condition or that can cost a huge chunk of change...
The part about there not seeming to be any structural damage is the first phase of denial...until you tear out the deck and do some serious core sampling and inspecting of the underlying structure, you cannot tell for sure...
Good Luck and we'll be waiting to see what happens...
GT1M:)

Splitfire

Recruit

First I'm new to both this site and boats. I recently picked up an old 70s comanche and the floor has rotten spots I'm tearing out deck now and noticed the very end of middle stringer is rotten about 4 inches up my question is does the whole stringer need replaced or can I sister new wood in?

rickryder

Commander

I agree with everyone! Welcome to the dry dock! You will be digging deep into your boat doing core samples on your stringers,bulkheads and transom to see how far the rot has gotten. You will have lots of people helping you along ;)

Splitfire.... You need to start your own thread to get replies on your issues. If everyone started hijacking threads with their own questions things would get very confusing.... Please read our rules on posting ;) Thanks and welcome to you also.

RobertHope

Cadet

Just started on my own '73 thunderbird! How's the project going? We just pulled up the rear deck section to find rotten stringers but otherwise everything looks nice. Having serious issues getting the stern of the cap off of the transom!! How far have you got? Be good to share any info or anything you found helpful! Thanks!

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

You really need to dig in & check the transom & stringer to see if you want to tackle it, Never done it but read quite a few threads and I have to say, It's a ton of work - Just be prepared because if the floor is that rotten there is a BIG chance the stringers and/or the transom are shot as well.

Good luck.

LK

n8ve1

Cadet

Ok new to this, last year my wife bought me a 1973 Thunderbird Boat. Went out this year and found the floor was soft in several places, have cut out the old plywood and fiberglass what is the best way to replace this? It appears that it was stored outside with nocover prior to me getting it, the plywood was very rotten in places. But there does not seem to be any strutural damage to the boat. Would like to fix, and restore it back to original if possible.

Seem to have been a bit of awhile since your first post. Any luck during the past month how bout some picutres of what you got to work with?

N8