Portable charger recommendation

spyder9179

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Minn-Kota portable charger, model BCS25EB to charge my trolling battery. Probably should've known better with BCS in the model number (ba dum dum).

Anyway, the thing doesn't seem to work worth a crap, except for the first time I used it. Now, when I hook it up, it just says charge complete, and doesn't even attempt to charge. The first time this happened, I figured it was my fault, since the batt was completely dead, and I found where some chargers like to see a little bit of a charge before they'll kick in, but yesterday I only ran for a couple hours and the same thing happened. I've been getting by through borrowing my father's Black and Decker Smart Charger, but I really need to get it back to him.

So I figured I'd ask if anybody has a preference, or a good review, of a budget-friendly portable charger.

Eventually I'm going to invest in a battery switch, to help with on the water charging, but I still need something for at the house, because it is possible for large chunks of time to pass between trips.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Portable charger recommendation

Minnkota doesn't even list a charger with that model number so if this is a new unit it should be under warranty. Buy a portable charger right here on iBoats. They have a selection of both portable and on-board chargers. Unless you need a portable charger for something else, an on-board works well. No need to drag the unit AND the cord to the boat. Just plug the unit into shore power at the dock.

Here's the link: Trolling Motor Battery Chargers - iboats

spyder9179

Seaman Apprentice

Just plug the unit into shore power at the dock

That's funny. If I was closer to the ramps we use, I'd post a pic and ask you to point out where the shore power is, or even the dock at a couple of them!

Though there's no way you could've known, I trailer my boat to and from the river. There is a marina about 30 miles away, but since there's a ramp about 2 miles away, we use it, most of the time.

So, long story short, I do need a portable charger. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

spyder9179

Seaman Apprentice

Just figured out I put the model number from my dads B&D charger instead. Sorry for the confusion.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's funny. If I was closer to the ramps we use, I'd post a pic and ask you to point out where the shore power is, or even the dock at a couple of them!

Though there's no way you could've known, I trailer my boat to and from the river. There is a marina about 30 miles away, but since there's a ramp about 2 miles away, we use it, most of the time.

So, long story short, I do need a portable charger. Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.

I may be missing something, but a portable charger (doesn't matter what manufacturer) has to be plugged in to 120VAC to charge a battery.

UncleWillie

Captain

Assuming you are in your drivway and the charger IS plugged into 120volts...

What is the voltage on the battery BEFORE you attach the charger?
If it is below 10 volts, the charger is wisely telling you that you need a new battery not a new charger.

For Portable Automaic/Smart Chargers I am impressed with the SHUMACHER line. Easily available Locally.

spyder9179

Seaman Apprentice

Short answer, Uncle Willie, is I don't know. I never put a meter on it.

Here's the complete story:

The battery in question is only about two months old (purchase age, didn't look to see mfg date). Bought the charger at the same time. Didn't use the battery for about a month, as the boat was in the shop for some glass work. (The motor I'll tinker with, but I know nothing about fiberglass, so I figured I'd let somebody who knew what he was doing take care of that, but that's a whole 'nother story).

A day or two before I got the boat back, I put the charger on the battery just to be safe. It did charge a little, can't tell you how long, because I didn't set there and watch it. Got the boat, threw everything together, took it out for the first time (the trolling motor was "new" as well, as the old one bit the dust, so I was excited to get out and put her through her paces). Everything worked like a champ--trolling motor, battery, new fiberglass, etc. As soon as I got home, I put the charger on it (See Don, I do have 120VAC at my house!), it charged as expected.

Took her out again the next day with a friend, had some OB issues, so we trolled a little more than expected. (This was last Sunday). Got her home, plugged everything back in, connected everything, didn't really look at the charger once I had it connected (I know, this is where I messed up, I should have paid more attention), but to that point it had worked as expected..

Fast forward to this past weekend, went fishing with my brother-in-law (see Nice Cat! thread in Freshwater Fishing forum), battery only lasted about an hour. Wasn't that big of an issue, as we just tied off to a tree and fished. Got home, put the charger back on and it says charge complete, which I knew was impossible. (Reference first post, dead battery, yada yada yada). Borrowed aforementioned B&D charger cuz the Admiral wanted to go fishing yesterday morning, again, just a couple hours, and same thing.

B&D charger actually charges it, MK charger doesn't.

If I keep it that long, I can check the voltage after our next trip, but since it is a recent purchase, I was just planning on taking it back and getting one that I knew would work, thus the call for recommendations, and thank you Uncle Willie, for yours--I'll take a look at them too.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would also buy a cheap load tester and test your battery after you fully charge it.

Battery Tester - Save on this 6v/12v Battery Load Tester

I have the Vector portable charger that is basically the same as the B&D. If you own one of these chargers, take it apart and replace the fan with a ball bearing fan. The fans on these fail and the charger overheats.