Spark Plug issue

invader_440

Recruit
I have a 1992 OMC 4.3 V6

Was out the other night and one of my spark plugs blew apart. Replaced it with an old spark plug and continued on. Went out the next night and the same thing happened to a plug on a different cylinder. The boat recommends using AC Delco MR43T but I was running the R43TS. It was my understanding that its the same spark plug just not stainless steel.
photo.jpg

Do I have a defective set of plugs? Are the plugs different by more than just the type of steel? Could there be something wrong with my engine? Has anyone else had any success or failure running the R43TS?

Any input would be great!

Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spark Plug issue

When were the plugs changed last? I've seen lots of cases where the crimp corrodes due to heat, corrosion and age and lets go thus expelling the center electrode. It may be that the plugs were cracked when they were installed. This can happen when using a poorly fitting or worn socket.

invader_440

Recruit
Re: Spark Plug issue

When were the plugs changed last? I've seen lots of cases where the crimp corrodes due to heat, corrosion and age and lets go thus expelling the center electrode. It may be that the plugs were cracked when they were installed. This can happen when using a poorly fitting or worn socket.

They were brand new plugs installed this year! Less than 10 hours on them before the first one blew. I hope its not my socket. I used the spark plug socket and the whole set is fairly new.