Strut modification

Captnjj

Recruit
I have a 353 Detroit diesel, direct drive, with a 1 1/4 inch shaft going through a single bronze strut, with a cutlass bearing. I am increasing the size of the shaft to at least one and a half inches, but probably to 1 5/8 diameter. Is it possible or practical to remove the strut and have a machine shop drill it out the additional 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch. I am just trying to save on replacing the entire strut if possible. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Ned L

Commander
Re: Strut modification

.....well, I guess it would all depend on how much metal would be left around the bearing, and without a picture or dimensions I have no idea. A '353' isn't a lot of engine so if there is good metal there I should think it would be ok. I'm curios why you want to increase the shaft size?

Captnjj

Recruit

.....well, I guess it would all depend on how much metal would be left around the bearing, and without a picture or dimensions I have no idea. A '353' isn't a lot of engine so if there is good metal there I should think it would be ok. I'm curios why you want to increase the shaft size?

Thanks for your response. I am actually going to do a repower, with a four cylinder John Deere, which will either be 135 hp or 150 hp. I'm trying to plan out the details for the overhaul, so I can minimize my downtime. I'm hoping to modify the existing strut, that is designed and already fitted to the boat. I want to save money where I can as long as it's not cutting corners. I believe there is plenty of thickness to the metal, but I will get the dimensions before I proceed. I was just trying to get some input as to whether this type of modification was ever done, or it was one of those things that you always just start with a brand-new one. Thanks again.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I have 1 1/4 shafts on my 28. Came out of the factory in 1976 that way. I have run #22 shafts with Gas 454's for over 30 years. This is thousands of hours doing towing, launch. salvage, refloating, beaching and out and out dredging. Been hard aground in the surf several times. Killed the engines hitting crap. shafts are fine.