Windshield dilemma!

Pear1973

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1965 Starcraft Dart that I'm going to fix up. I was planning on taking the windshield off so I could strip all the paint off the boat and flip it over so I could paint it. Upon further investigation, it looks like the windshield has spider cracks in it where it sits in he rubber seal. I'm afraid if I take it off it will shatter! Any thoughts? If I did break it, how hard are they to find? It's a curved windshield that bends around the sides .

matt167

Captain
Re: Windshield dilemma!

It's made of plexiglass, or a form of it anyway. There are companies that can make a new one if you ship the old out, but it will cost a little over $500. You can make your own with lexan as it will bend fairly easy.. It shouldn't break on removal tho

zool

Captain
Re: Windshield dilemma!

There are places to get a replica of most windshields, especially if you have the old one, broken or not..but its never cheap, especially for the curved ones....

Chances are those spider cracks will spread under use if left unattended anyway...I would think you and a helper could remove it without too much further stress..

Starcraft Boat Windshields