62 Lark 40 HP questions

stelradCoal

Recruit
I recently purchases a 1962 Evinrude Lark 40hp motor for my new little runabout. The motor model # is 35933 L is making it a 40hp Selectric Shift model.

Right now I have the motor hanging off the transom of the Scout and am starting in getting it ready. Looking for advice here on what I should do to get it ready for the water. I have done no work to it so far, but I have ordered an impeller as well as a carb rebuild kit.

The motor seems to shift into gear. I put 12v to the leads leading to the shifter and it seemed to lock the propeller up. There is no pull start, it looks like there was one, but the assembly has been removed.

The wiring harness has been removed and the motor somewhat rewired. The start solenoid and a voltage regulator are mounted under the cowl now. I received a control box from a somewhat newer motor which has 3 fittings, I assume 1 for power and the other two go to the shift cables. I have to use the tester to work that out.

I was able to put some battery cables on and spin over the motor. I tested the compression and got 100 on both top and bottom.

I pulled the impeller out and am going to replace the impeller. There is a small crack in the housing. Could I use some JB Weld to patch these cracks and do you think it would hold? Should I replace the oil seal and o-rings on the drive shaft.

Recommendations on what I should plan on doing besides the impeller and carb rebuild? My goal here is to get the motor running so it can be safely used on a small boat on a small lake.

Thanks for all of your help in advance.
Jay

lindy46

Captain
Re: 62 Lark 40 HP questions

I'd replace the water pump housing - the whole kit is about $50-55 which includes the impeller. Did the gearcase have water in it? I usually pressure test the G/C to check for leaks. If no leaks, I wouldn't bother replacing the seals. Make sure to put new crush washers on the drain and vent bolts when renewing the gear oil. Replace the o-ring on the top of the driveshaft, or at least make sure the old one is there before re-installing the lower unit.

stelradCoal

Recruit

lindy46 thanks for the advice.
OK - I ordered a pump set from ebay 379775 - $85 was about the least expensive I could find. Most of the online retailers had it priced around 150-175 with shipping.

I have not yet drained the gearcase. I have to get a bottle of the proper gearcase lube ( I understand the Selectric require special lube ) and then I will drain and refill it checking for water.

I understand there is a special fitting you can get to screw into the top vent hole that you can then attach clear tube to and a vacume guage to test the seal. Any idea what that fitting part is?

Willyclay - thank you for the electrical diagram that will help. I could certainly use a service manual.

Jay

Willyclay

Captain

I could certainly use a service manual.Jay

The only factory manual I can find online is for the Johnson versions but mechanically they are the same as Evinrudes with only cosmetic differences. The link below will get you to a manual that covers many years. There is also some "non-factory" manuals available online if you are interested. FYI, I used one to rebuild a seized 1959 Johnson 35HP with no problems. Good luck!

Boatinfo - 1922-1964 Johnson Service Manual

lindy46

Captain

I have not yet drained the gearcase. I have to get a bottle of the proper gearcase lube ( I understand the Selectric require special lube ) and then I will drain and refill it checking for water.

Jay

Type C gear oil - I buy it a NAPA

stelradCoal

Recruit

Thanks for the info guys. I will swing over to the napa tomorrow and pick up the gear oil, and the manual will certainly come in handy! Thanks Jay