Help with lowrance lss2 structure scan

Joepapar

Seaman
I installed a lowrance lss2 structure scan transducer on a 2008 ranger 188. I mounted off the jackplate and dropped it to just below the transom step back. I continue to get a constant, distinct line 1.5 feet left from the center line on the side scan. When looking at the downscan there is a horizontal line at 1.5 feet below the surface line. When I had it higher I thought the signal was bounding off of the other side of the jackplate so I lowered it. Still didn't go away. The 2d transducer is mounted higher so I don't think that's it. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Help with lowrance lss2 structure scan

Please post a picture.
Side scan needs a clean shot left and right and not behind the transom where the water is full of bubbles.
Does the line go away when you come to a full stop engine Off?

Side scan transducers works best when mounted near the keel so they have a clear view under all parts of the boat.

Joepapar

Seaman

It is there all of the time whether the engine is on or off. Very constant.

Joepapar

Seaman

The screen shots are very similar to these.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 0

UncleWillie

Captain

The screen shots are very similar to these.

I was thinking more on the line of pictures of the Transom of your boat showing the transducer mounting. :D
A low shot in line with the keel would be the most telling.
And another looking Starboard to Port across the back of the transom.

Another question would be... What is a foot and a half below and to the Left of the Transducer?

Joepapar

Seaman

Here are a few pics of current transducer placement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0

UncleWillie

Captain

The only thing I see to the left 1-2 feet away are the jack plate and the other Transducer.
Yes they are higher, but they are extremely close compared to the bottom of the lake.
Even though they are theoretically out of the main sonar beams, they could be returning enough echo to be visible.

Notice that the line in the Down Scan is Much weaker than the line in the Side Scan image.
This tells me the return is coming from the side way more than below.

You could try temporarily removing the other transducer or lowering the SS transducer deeper in the water.

I am concerned about the stepped hull ahead of the transducer.
I would like to see the transducer Below the level of the step.
I know that sounds like a serious drop!.

I have mine (Not Lowrance) mounted just to the Right of the garboard plug extending below the keel.
It is the lowest thing on the boat other than the lower drive.
That cleaned up my display so it now looks great.

Joepapar

Seaman

Thanks for the response. I'm going to try to lower it a little more to see if that helps. I've been looking at the SternMate system and was thinking that may be an option. I can hang that off the underside of the step back.

TX_Jester

Cadet

I actually have mine mounted higher than yours (inside the jackplate, right at the bottom edge of the jackplate) to protect it from stumps and other things I tend to run over in the lake very often where we fish and I don't have an issue with the lines you are seeing, mine is also a Ranger with a hull step like that, I don't think you need to lower it any.....IMHO

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This thread is over a year old. Joe either got it working or bought a Humminbird. Please respect the forum rules and don't post in a thread that's been inactive in excess of 90 days. That's what the ignored red banner meant.

Joepapar

Seaman

I actually haven't fixed it, just living with it. I've tried numerous things and nothing seems to solve the issue. As you mentioned TX, I'm afraid to move it much deeper because I don't want to smack into something and knock it off. Just starting to hit it hard up here in the north and I was going to try to drop it a little more to see if that helps.