Put opposite prop on Volvo Sterndrive

Clayton993

Cadet
The prop got damaged on a 2009 glastron 185 gt, 4 cyl boat. Somehow we ordered a opposite pitched prop and now the boat goes forward in reverse.. I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not. The boat runs fine and goes the same speed in reverse like it used to in forward. I want to double check with you guys and see what you think. Should I just get a new prop or use the one I have and see if I can change the throttle control around?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: Put opposite prop on Volvo Sterndrive

Get the correct prop! I'd imagine the gears would wear incorrectly,causing early failure.They were not designed to have oppisite stress on them,even though the gears are both the same strength wise the tourque is different.At least thats my guess,good luck!
Grub

skinnydip

Cadet

Not sure about your specific drive but i think you can adjust the shift linkage in the outdrive. I think this is so counter rotators can get two of the same drive.

171mach1

Cadet

you can change the drive rotation on the SX Cobra drive. Take off the plastic cover, on the upper gear housing, and move the vertical metal rod to the opposite side. This will change the rotation.