Four Winns Volvo steering problem

HollyMax

Recruit
Hello all, I have a 2001 Four Winns Horizon 190 with the 5.0 Lt Gi and Volvo SX drive.
The issue I have is occasionally when turning to the right the power steering sticks until you have to pull fairly hard on the steering wheel and it all of a sudden lets go causing the boat to veer sharply to the right.
It doesn't do it all the time and seems to happen after you have been steering fairly straight and only have had to move the steering wheel slightly to either left or right that there is a restriction and doesn't want to turn.

The Power Steering pump has just been replaced. The steering cable is free. Turning left to right, lock to lock without the motor running or the same in neutral with the motor running is free and seems to help for a while after the boat is under power on so I'm not sure if there is an air lock developing, or whether the control valve in the power steering unit isn't returning to the centre?? Power Steering levels appear to be correct.

Also not having had a stern drive before only a centre mounted inboard with a rudder I would have thought the steering would be a bit lighter. I don't expect it to be able to be turned with one finger, but a bit easier than what it is. Maybe the 2 problems are from the same issue.

Any thought's before I start pulling the Steering Control Valve/Cylinder apart.

Robert