Mercury ID

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mercury wanders into my shop, allegedly a '95 and marked 40 HP. Two stroke. Number stamped on ID plate, if I read correctly, is 0G082643.

Microfiche characters look nothing like this. So I can figure the model. HELP!

And BTW, I have had to ask this question several times. is there any site anywhere that matches these numbers on the ID plate with model? I hate to ask it every time. . . .

TIA!

Nostalgia

Recruit
Re: Mercury ID

Similar question. 2 cyl. Mercury outboard serial number is 0C114980. No stickers to indicate HP. I gather from the SN C114980 it is a 1989 engine, but don't know how to tell which model (HP) - 6/8/9.9/15?

carholme

Rear Admiral

MERCURY - ( 8 H.P. (1989 ))
Serial No: 0C114980 Model No: 1008201GD

Gerry

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the sticky. There's a heap more information there than merely the year of the motor. Oddly enough, however, the motor in question is not a JET. I'm thinking I may have misread the data plate. Anyhow, thanks to y'all, I'm on the right track.

THANKS!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the sticky. There's a heap more information there than merely the year of the motor. Oddly enough, however, the motor in question is not a JET. I'm thinking I may have misread the data plate. Anyhow, thanks to y'all, I'm on the right track.

THANKS!

Sometimes the Deerstalker hat has to be just so and the pipe clenched a little tighter. :)

carholme

Rear Admiral

THANKS!

Nobody is telling you that your engine is a jet, that is just the header identifying the parts list as being compatible with the 40hp and the 30 jet. Of course, if you read the parts list, you will see that.

Gerry