Help me identify this motor

fbodkin

Cadet
I just picked this motor up that was on its way to a salvage yeard. I do not see any markings or serial numbers anywhere. I am hoping that those with more experience with these things can recognize it.

Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Help me identify this motor

Hi, fbodkin.

Welcome to iboats. :welcome:

I will move this to Other Outboards, though it sure looks OMC to me.

fbodkin

Cadet

so sorry for being an idiot... but what is OMC?

woodsailboat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to be an old 3hp Johnson weedless motor probably mid 50s or so.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

so sorry for being an idiot... but what is OMC?
the outboard motor company that also manufactured johnson and evinrude, do a search on the internet for interesting reading. not sure if that is what you have, the leg looks like it tho

fbodkin

Cadet

you guys are the greatest.

The thing has been almost completely redone, painted and then given up on. It gets gas but not spark. Looks to need a set of points, condensor and coil. scratching my head at how hard THAT will be to find

JB

OMC was Outboard Marine Corporation. They made Evinrude, Johnson, Gale and Buccaneer outboards as well as some store brands. They went broke in about 2000 and the outboard rights and assets were acquired by Bombardier.

We are pretty sure now that it is a Johnson JW model from the 50s. I will now move you to the JohnnyRude forum

JB

The Johnson JW series was introduced in 1952. It was the ancestor of a family of 3 to 4.5HP twins that were available for about 50 years. They were, in my not-so-humble opinion, the best outboards ever made, by anyone, anytime. Yours is missing the lower cowling. Try the list of outboard salvage yards from the Top Secret File at the top of this forum.

The '52-'56 JWs used Champion J6C plugs gapped at .030 to .040". '57 and later used J4C plugs. I would use J4Cs in any of them, gapped at .040".

All set the points at .020"

Very likely it needs coils, as they have a short (40-45years) life.

You have acquired a real jewel. Get her running right and you will love her forever, because she will love you.

fbodkin

Cadet

Guys... you cant believe how much help this was. Thankyou so much.

I have also discovered that Napa Auto Parts carries the coil, points and condenser that I need to get her running!!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Guys... you cant believe how much help this was. Thankyou so much.

I have also discovered that Napa Auto Parts carries the coil, points and condenser that I need to get her running!!

Thats great! You've heard the expression: "they don't build them like they used to"? You now have a case in point, that engine will run forever. It's hard to believe someone was actually going to throw it out.

JB

Ooops! Forgot the fuel mix. Use a 24:1 ratio, 87 octane unleaded regular to TC-W3 rated oil.