2001 Johnson 9.9 Eating W/P Impellers

Bucks4life

Cadet
Recently bought a pontoon with a Johnson 9.9 (Model #J10EVLSIC) which need a new water pump.

Bought a new kit and replaced all of the pump (base plate, housing, impeller, etc.) and blew out the intake which showed no signs of debris or blockage. When I first started the motor after replacing the pump, it peed great at first, but then slowly lost pressure, until nothing was coming out. Took it back apart to find the impeller was destroyed.

I complained to the retailer, and he told me that it's OEM, and agreed to send me a replacement impeller.

I put the new impeller in, and the exact thing happened again. Sooooo... What to do now? I would hate to order a whole new kit and have the same thing happen again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2001 Johnson 9.9 Eating W/P Impellers

I'm guessin that you installed the impeller with the veins goin in the wrong direction.

nwcove

Admiral

I'm guessin that you installed the impeller with the veins goin in the wrong direction.

that really shouldnt make a difference with that style of impeller as the vanes "should" orient themselves correctly after a few revolutions

Bucks4life

Cadet

I've been told that it doesn't make a difference, that the motor forces them in the right direction.

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi there,

Is there any burrs on the stainless cup or lower plate that the impeller sits in?

Are you using a grease that is eating away the rubber?

Are you applying even torque to the water pump housing in a criss cross pattern?

Post up some pics so we can see a visual.

AlTn

Commander

how far below/ above the lower exhaust housing mounts does your motor run in the water normally?...is it remaining submerged enough so the pump is underwater?

Bucks4life

Cadet

Hi there,

Is there any burrs on the stainless cup or lower plate that the impeller sits in?

Are you using a grease that is eating away the rubber?

Are you applying even torque to the water pump housing in a criss cross pattern?

Post up some pics so we can see a visual.

The kit was brand new including the housing. I was instructed by the retailer to use Dawn dish washing liquid as lubricant. I can't imagine that was the issue. As far as torquing down the housing, I doubt that I could have got it wrong twice in a row, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'll get some pics up soon, I won't get to until the weekend at the earliest.

Thanks

Bucks4life

Cadet

how far below/ above the lower exhaust housing mounts does your motor run in the water normally?...is it remaining submerged enough so the pump is underwater?

The motor is new to me so I can't say exactly how far the motor is in the water, as I haven't had it in the water yet.

When testing it, I have a plastic drum on a fork lift up as far as it will go, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

AlTn

Commander

k...some pics will be great...is the metal hub portion of the impeller showing any marks to indicate that the drive pin has been spinning inside the hub?

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"When testing it, I have a plastic drum on a fork lift up as far as it will go, so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue." I do not undersrtand the part about "UP as far as IT will go". Would think it would be, DOWN as far as IT will go.

These impellers are pretty bulletproof IF the lower unit is deep enough in the water to have the pump submerged. If it is a shortshafted motor, that means water to at least to top of the motor mounts. Then if you are running it in gear, in the barrel, you will need it deeper because of the water being sucked away from the pump area, lowering the water level there.

My guess is you are burning the impeller up because it is not getting enough water to pump, much less lubricate it. A dry impeller will become frazzled within only 30 seconds if not submerged in water.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

did anyone mention that you should reimburse the retailer for the impellar you got for free and burned up, obviously not the retailers or impellars fault.