Your favourite brand, and why....

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am thinking about changing up to a larger boat. I have been around smaller boats most of my life, but these were a quite a bit smaller (16-18ft) than what I am looking at.

I am looking at the 28-30 ft range. I currently have a 23ft express cruiser so it won't be a complete culture shock to me. Due to budget limitations it will be a new to me boat.

What types of things should I be looking at in a boat of this size. And more importantly which brand seems has the best fit and finish for longevity.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Your favourite brand, and why....

I won't do the 'brand' thing, but I can tell you some of what went into our buying decision. We upsized from a 24' express. We had narrowed it down to 2 boats- the one in my sig and a 1995 Larson 280 Cabrio. Both had twin V-6's (I'd strongly recommend V-8's for you).

The Larson had a really nice lounging cockpit with lots of fixed, wraparound seating. The Four Winns has a fold-down stern seat and a slide-out rear facing seat behind the helm seat. Works okay but not as comfortable and attractive as the Larson. The Larson wins easily as a day boat.

What decided us on the Four Winns was the way it was equipped for weekending (though the FI Volvo vs. carbed Mercs played into it, too). The Larson has a long, lounge seat dinette that wasn't very comfortable to sit on. The FW has a face-to-face, diner booth style dinette. Larson has a single burner electric (might have been alky/electric) stovetop- FW has a 2 burner alky-electric. Larson carries 25 gallons fresh water and has a 20 gallon holding tank. FW capacities are 38 gallons and 25 gallons respectively. Both have a smallish but manageable stand-up head, A/C with heat, hot and cold transom shower (we really like that- rinsing off in warm water is great).

In the final almost coin toss, we decided on the boat with better 'weekending on the hook' facilities. There wasn't a wrong choice in this case. I'm sure we would have made the Larson 'work' for weekending, the same way the FW 'works' for daytripping. Think about how you want to use the boat and what features are most important to you.

tpenfield

Staff member

In my completely objective and unbiased opinion, supported with a wealth of information and factual matter, I can say without reservation that Formula is absolutely the 'best' brand of boat :D

Well, so far it has been the best for me . . .

Truth is what is 'best' for one person may not be 'best' for another. So, think about what you want out of a boat and then you can focus on brands that have a stronger reputation and offerings for the features and characteristics that you want . . . 'cuz you really have not said anything about your intended boating style . . .

Center console, cruiser, sport boat, dual console, express cruiser . . . etc, etc.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Ask 100 people that question and you will get 100 different answers. Most likely you will not keep it longer than you have your current boat anyway.

tpenfield

Staff member

Ask 100 people that question and you will get 100 different answers. Most likely you will not keep it longer than you have your current boat anyway.

Good point . . . so maybe the 'best' brand is one that you can easily sell. (relatively speaking of course)

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since I live in Newfoundland and boat exclusively on salt, would like a boat that allows a combination of both day trips just off shore and weekending in nearby bays. My current boat does not allow for those off shore trips, or weekending. The off shore trips will be for fishing, we have a variety off large fish just off shore. Everything from sharks, to tuna, to large ground fish (halibut).

I am thinking I would like twins, not sure if I want inboards or I/O's. For the weekend trip I would like a 2 burner alky/elect stove, a fridge so I am not continually having to run to the store for ice, a small genny for those times when there is no shore power.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What Brand? Boston Whaler, primarily those designed by Dougherty, and built during during the '80s

Why? Superior design, fit and finish; Unsinkable, Holds value like no other brand.

Second choice would be a any other boat designed by Bob Dougherty.

I am not the least impartial.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Bennington Pontoons, Crowline boats, and Hurricane deck boats. Why? Because I sell them :lol:

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I love my Sea Rays, On my second - They hold their value well and have good parts availibilty. My 86 210MC Seville was on CraigsList for 45 minutes when the guy who bought it called, Hard to beat that. Had 3 people that wanted it, Good position to be in. I know I will pay a little more for them up front but it seems like they move good when you want to upgrade. The two I have had did have good fit, finish & workmanship. Both of my Sea Rays were "Pocket Cruisers" so we are probably not talking about the same thing so take it with a grain of salt.

LK

chriscraft254

Commander

Wow, I think you really need to look at what people are running offshore there. Inland bays and offshore is two totally different things. I don't think I willget into brands either because I don't know the availability of whats in your area and I don't know the waters. I can say you don't buy a boat for the resale value and the fit and finish will be the least of your worries. Sea worthyness and safety come first for me and easy maintenance is a good start.

Since you will be in salt water I would be looking at self bailing boats. Twins are not needed but are nice for offshore and I would stick with the outboards. I tend to lean towards center consoles or walk around for fishing. The walkarounds or express depending on the make will offer you plenty of room to fish from the stern where most fishing is done offshore and room for living space forward with ammentities.

If you post up some boats that you have found we could probably give you better opinions on those particular vessels and the ins and outs of each one. First thing you should be looking for is one that has been maintained correctly. Take your time and the right boat will find you. Good luck.

tpenfield

Staff member

Since I live in Newfoundland and boat exclusively on salt, would like a boat that allows a combination of both day trips just off shore and weekending in nearby bays. My current boat does not allow for those off shore trips, or weekending. The off shore trips will be for fishing, we have a variety off large fish just off shore. Everything from sharks, to tuna, to large ground fish (halibut).

I am thinking I would like twins, not sure if I want inboards or I/O's. For the weekend trip I would like a 2 burner alky/elect stove, a fridge so I am not continually having to run to the store for ice, a small genny for those times when there is no shore power.

Ok . . . take a look at Grady-White, Pursuit, Stamas, Boston Whaler, probably a walkaound model in those brands. You might want to consider twin outboards.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chriscraft254 asked for boats I have been looking at. So far I have found a few. On Boatsville.com, there is a 28ft SeaRay (quick link 210471). The photos make the boat look like new.

There are also a couple on kijiji.com. One is in PEI, it is a 2001 Maxum 270SCR for $43K. There is also a 2000 Maxum SCR 3000 in Nova Scotia for $55K. The 3000 has 2 brand new engines with less than 50 hrs on them.

I would like to find a well maintained boat for a dirt low price. I do have time, so I can wait to find a really good deal.

btw the bays around Newfoundland can't really be called inland bays. For example, Conception Bay where I do the majority of my boating is about 20km wide and close to 50km long, but this is not off shore. Trinity Bay where I will be spending some of my weekends is quite a but larger, both in width and length.

saumon

Lieutenant

In the express cruiser segment, the Cabo looks pretty impresive as far as build quality and attention to details. Here's an example of one of their wiring panel...

normal_40FB%20ELEC%20PANEL.jpg

...far from the typical bird nest, but I don't think they make anything smaller than 31ft.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

:hat:in my completely unbiased opinion, antique Larsons are best:D especially old laplines:rolleyes: with rotten skeletons you can replace your self, then powered with an evinrude, i used to like the Bayliner 2655 but sometimes you start remodeling them and they end up sitting in the driveway outside your home, never getting finished. yep i can say to the best of my knowledge, Larson:facepalm: