Loosing fuel at WOT

84fourwinns170

Recruit
I have a 84 Four Winns 170 Marquise with a 86 Johnson 110 VRO outboard. I recently replaced the floor and replaced the inboard fuel tank. Seem to be having problems. If i am coasting at steady speed all is good. When i start goin WOT, within a couple seconds i start to loose pressure in the bulb and have to reprime it. Is there any solution to fixing this without taking out the floor? I was contemplating wheather or not to put a electric ful pump to pump fuel to the motor as it seems when the motor is at wide open throttle the gas goes to the back side of the tank. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Loosing fuel at WOT

From what i understand your boat runs good and if your problem is a soft primer bulb while running then it's not really a problem. Think about it, your fuel pump is sucking fuel from tank via primer bulb. Now if its squashed flat and your boat goes lean/dies then i'd look at a restriction from the pump to your tank. vent hose clear, crap in the lines etc.

84fourwinns170

Recruit

From what i understand your boat runs good and if your problem is a soft primer bulb while running then it's not really a problem. Think about it, your fuel pump is sucking fuel from tank via primer bulb. Now if its squashed flat and your boat goes lean/dies then i'd look at a restriction from the pump to your tank. vent hose clear, crap in the lines etc.

im pretty sure the problem is that the feed line to the motor from the inboard tank is towards the front of the bow of the boat so when the boat picks up speed and the bow lifts up the gas goes to the back of the tank leaving only air near the feed line.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

If it does it with the tank full I don't think that is your problem, it would have to happen after you had run for quite a while and used gas but if the tank is full it can't all run to the back and it would only do tha ton acceleration, once you were up to seed the tank would level off again.

Does this happen as soon as you hit the throttle or it takes a minute to start running bad?